My Sheep Hunting Trip

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
Wapiti
2 point
2 point

My Sheep Hunting Trip

Post by Wapiti » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:27 am

Here are few pictures of my sheep hunting trip i was on last November. I was one of the lucky one's to be drawn for a once in a life time hunt for sheep in November during the rut. It was in the area where the current worlds record big horn was shot a few years ago. I didn't get a sheep but it is one trip i will never forget i watched big rams fight only yards away from me. These big rams were in the closed area i had to walk throught to get to the area where i could hunt.
Attachments
CRC Trip Nov 06 031 (Medium).jpg
CRC Trip Nov 06 031 (Medium).jpg (49.08 KiB) Viewed 6546 times
CRC Trip Nov 06 032 (Medium).jpg
CRC Trip Nov 06 032 (Medium).jpg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 6546 times
CRC Trip Nov 06 036 (Medium).jpg
CRC Trip Nov 06 036 (Medium).jpg (42.08 KiB) Viewed 6546 times

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:30 am

Here are some more pictures.
Attachments
DSC00005-1.JPG
DSC00005-1.JPG (89.05 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
DSC00006-2.JPG
DSC00006-2.JPG (88.44 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
DSC00004-1 (Small).JPG
DSC00004-1 (Small).JPG (48.54 KiB) Viewed 6544 times

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:26 pm

Very cool, sounds like you had a great time anyway.

Wasn't there any sheep in the area you could hunt, any shot opportunities?

Sorry you didn't get one, Once In a Lifetime and RUT? Thought you would have a good chance, sure it's tough though.

Thanks for the story/pics!

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:45 pm

Beautiful pics!!! Man, I love those sheep.

Do ya have time to give us a run-down on how the hunt went? Did ya see any shooters and just didn't get a shot off?

Also, since it was a "once-in-a-lifetime" hunt, does that mean you only get drawn once or are you still eligble since you didn't fill the tag?

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:14 pm

MuleyMadness wrote: Wasn't there any sheep in the area you could hunt, any shot opportunities
Basically you wait for the sheep to come out of the mine chasing ewes when they cross the border you can shot.

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:41 pm

AGCHAWK wrote:Beautiful pics!!! Man, I love those sheep.

Do ya have time to give us a run-down on how the hunt went? Did ya see any shooters and just didn't get a shot off?

Also, since it was a "once-in-a-lifetime" hunt, does that mean you only get drawn once or are you still eligble since you didn't fill the tag?

I seen some on the second day but they came off the side of the mountain chasing ewes into where i couldn't hunt.
The third day i also spotted a very big ram up on the side of the mountain but there was another guy that had the draw and he was ahead of me so he got up there and shot it.

I did see some shooters but i didn't spot them until 2 o clock in the after noon on the fourth day of my hunt. There was no way i was going to make it to them before it got dark so i decided to wait until the next morning. The next morning i headed up to where i had seen the sheep it was -28 and wind was blowing it was cold when i got up to where i had seen them. There was one legal ram up there that i could have shot but he just wasn't what i was looking for so i passed. I still had 5 days to hunt hoping i would see one bigger but i didn't oh well it was still a great experience.

As for geting drawn again i quess it is possible but that would be like winning the lottery twice and i don't think that will ever happen again.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:35 am

wapiti, thanks for the rundown. Ya know, I was thinking after you posted this that it would really bother me if I drew a once-in-a-lifetime hunt (I put in for our sheep, goat, and moose hunts here in WA and they are all the same way) and didn't bring one home.
However, how many folks even get the chance to chase those magnificant animals? I'd love to say that I've been on a sheep hunt!

younggun
Spike
Spike

Post by younggun » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:47 am

Man that dark bodied ram in the first pick is a dousy. and that there are a few other rams that are extremely nice aswell. broomed off tight curled. to bad u didn't connect. I think the ratio is for every 6 or 7 years u get 1 ram. thats the average for sheep hunters. I'm hunting spences bridge BC so the rams get alot of pressure but if u look in the BC record books for bighorn sheep u'll realize why i hunt that area. Alot of the guys are road hunter and dont like to hike past the first mountain but if u got 2 weeks to hunt you can really isolate urself in those canyons in the back country.
I've climbed 2 mountains. Found this guy, camped out on top of the world. I'm goin to get that ram. Thoughts of a commited sheep hunter. Work the next day, who cares, wife or girlfriend, THANK GOD! i'm hunting sheep and not at home.