San Juan Sheep Success

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
brn2hunt
4 point
4 point

Post by brn2hunt » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:15 pm

thanks great info and the pic is great
"Ne A La Chasse"

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Painted Horse

AWESOME RAM!! Love the INFO also, very helpful and great stuff. I can completely see what you mean after the pictures.

Love the character of your Ram, something about a big ole Ram that no matter what the size or condition of his horns is a TROPHY in my book.

:thumb

jersey boy
2 point
2 point

Post by jersey boy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:29 pm

yea awesome info great pics and nice ram nice job!!!
im a jersey boy becomin a utah boy!!!

goodgrouper
Fawn
Fawn

Post by goodgrouper » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:12 pm

Dirtbike,

Looks like your brother in law found his ram ok. I wish I would have found this site and your posts sooner. I could have helped you get a ram before the pucker factor of the last day kicked in!

It appears he killed his ram somewhere near Fry Canyon?
It's hard to say but it looks like his ram is somewhere in the 120" range?

Did you guys ever go look at Jacob's chair? Another herd lives in that general area.
Precision shooting is not a matter of life or death-it's much more important than that-especially for the animal!

goodgrouper
Fawn
Fawn

Post by goodgrouper » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:20 pm

Painted horse,

Congrats on a job well done. Learning sheep habits and locations is hard to do but so much fun.

I know a little about that south area. Looks like you killed near Chimney canyon up on the flats. There is a good herd in there.

Did you check out Seger's hole and Moroni slopes?

I'm just guessing here but it looks like your ram is in the 135" class? How big were the other ones you passed up?
Precision shooting is not a matter of life or death-it's much more important than that-especially for the animal!

Painted Horse
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Painted Horse » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:11 am

We shot the ram on East Cedar Mountain.

We did check out Segers Holes and Moroni Slopes, But I didn't find any sheep over there.

We also spent a day at Poor Canyon, over in the Squeeze, Near Goblin Valley, and up on Pride Rock. We saw most off our sheep off Pride rock.

We spotted a nice ram near Buckskin Springs by Goblin Valley. we hiked 90 minutes or so to close the gap, but when we got there the sheep were gone. We scouted around and found the 6 ewes that we had seen with the ram, but the Ram had Poof disappeared..

The other rams I saw the morning that I shot mine, didn't seem to have as much mass. They were single animals. The ram I shot was with 5 ewes and and was running away when we first spotted him. I literally had seconds to evaluate and shoot. My elk hunting instincts kicked in. Single ram=small ram. Ram with harem of ewes = big ram. I never really got a side or front view of before shooting. Hence I never noticd his lamb tips being totally broomed off. I was looking at the back of his head and butt running away. I could see good mass from the back, bang.

As I look at some of the pictures of the nice curls and larger measurements of others sheep. I need to remember there is no shame in harvesting a heavily broomed 10 year old ram. Especially on a DIY hunt.

My only regret is that I now have all this experience and have used up my once in a lifetime hunt. I hope I can talk a buddy into putting in for and hope he draws a tag before I'm too old to ever go again.

Buck Fever
3 point
3 point

Post by Buck Fever » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:01 pm

Awesome pictures. Great stories and thanks for all the great info. Sounds like you had a once in lifetime experience. Congrats!!!
Must be mentally focused at all times!!

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:10 am

Great hunt pics. COngrats.

What country is that???
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Painted Horse
Fawn
Fawn

Re: San Juan Sheep Success

Post by Painted Horse » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:08 pm

I was hunting the San Rafael Swell area of Central Utah. I-70 crosses thru the swell just about the middle.

Hiker

Re: San Juan Sheep Success

Post by Hiker » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Nice Rams guys! Thanks for sharing. =D>
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6