WOW! IT WORKS

Talk anything related to predators.
crunch14
2 point
2 point

WOW! IT WORKS

Post by crunch14 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Ok I'm pretty sure that I got a bit lucky on this, but it still got my heart pumping.

Today I got the Primo's ki-yi and HOT DOG in the mail, so while watching the games I threw the dvd in my computer and played around with the calls. FYI the cat was FREAKED OUT! lol

My back yard runs up to the 500+ acre Redmond Watershed (no hunting allowed unfortunately). So after the Colts won I decided to sit out on the deck for a while and see what kind of trouble I could cause. Well I can't figure out the howls yet, thats for sure, but I was able to get the fawn distress and adult deer distress pretty good on the HOT DOG. So I switched to the ki-yi cottontail distress call, (Yes the neighborhood dogs were going BONKERS). After about 10-15 minutes of switching back and forth I hear a couple branches breaking about 100 or so yards out in the woods but no response calls. So I hit the cottontail again and "crash crash snap" Something's comming in hot. Just as I realize a dog won't make noise like that I hear a bear huffing and puffing at the edge of the yard. As soon as I hit the flashlight to try and see it he took off like a bat outta burn.

Probably pissed off half the neighborhood, but it was worth it. I can't wait for Bear season.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Re: WOW! IT WORKS

Post by AntlersOutWest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:51 am

Sounds like fun to get all the neighborhood critters all ralled up lol
Too bad you didnt get a better look at him. better invest in a good spot light next!

I have a dumb question for ya.. Do your bears hibernate up there?
Were are getting fresh snow this morning, cant wait to turn the hounds loose on a fresh lion track

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Re: WOW! IT WORKS

Post by crunch14 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Around here (near Seattle) it seems that they kinda take long naps off and on throughout the winter, it's the lack of a consistent food source that triggers hibernation. Some of them around here are garbage hounds so there's always food.

With all the snow we get in the mountains they definitely hibernate, in '99 Mt. Baker set the world record for snowfall, right around 100 feet at the Ski Area. And in Eastern Wa I think they'd have to because of the lack of food.

I've haven't hunted them since Baiting was outlawed, hounds are banned too but never had access to hounds. This call has given me a bit more confidence. I figure I'll just head up to where I've seen sign and animals in the past and start makin noise.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY