Idaho Spring Bear

Talk anything related to predators.
shootermedic
Fawn
Fawn

Idaho Spring Bear

Post by shootermedic » Sat May 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Here are some Pictures from a bear hunt we did the weekend of may 21st and 22nd
We were north of Idaho City in an area I deer hunted the year before. On the Deer hunt we saw three bear, ten wolves and only two bucks in 7 days of hard hunting. We were able to harvest the deer. But we were more excited to come back and go bear hunting. And Yes I did have a wolf tag last year but the season was not open when we saw the wolves
We were hunting around 7000-8000 feet of elevation. We mostly were on four-wheelers trying to cover as much ground as possible. There are a lot of ATV trails that the bear were using as highways to get from point, A to point B.
We saw two bears in two days. The first was a thirty pound chocolate phase cub all by his lone some.
My bear we found eating dandelions in a small meadow, The shot was not a long shot by any means only 271 yds but on a 52 degree down angle. I ended up holding 1.8 MOA low on the bear and it found its mark.
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20 ... C04244.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20 ... C04249.jpg

I was shooting my T3 in 300 WSM Topped with a Konus M30 6.4-24X 44 Scope.
I loaded up some Nosler CT 180 gr with RL 17 68 gr going 3100 fps
They did a great job.
She measured 5’6 and about 300 lbs. When I checked her in with fish and game they figured she was around ten year old most of her teeth were very worn down. I will know for sure in about a month.
We ended up having to leave that night due to getting snowed out.
My dad went back up after the storm and he was into the bears thick he saw 7 in 2 days and with his 308 VTR got a bear at 476 yds. His was alittle bigger than mine. Go figure Can’t wait till next year. :thumb

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Idaho Spring Bear

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat May 29, 2010 6:22 pm

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing the photo/stories. Those are 2 great looking bears to bad you couldn't bag a wolf in the process. :thumb