2007 Utah Black bear attack court verdict

Talk anything related to predators.
DeadI

2007 Utah Black bear attack court verdict

Post by DeadI » Tue May 03, 2011 9:52 pm

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15400295

I really do not agree with there verdict. What a crock!
Deadi

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: 2007 Utah Black bear attack court verdict

Post by sneekeepete » Wed May 04, 2011 6:44 am

I agree it is a crock but not suprising! this is America where you can burn yourself with coffee and sue for getting burned! Screw responsibility anything for easy money right....
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed May 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Francis said he filed a lawsuit so that people would pay attention and avoid a similar tragedy.
Francis said he filed a lawsuit so that people would pay attention and avoid a similar tragedy.
uh, yea right! i'd bet "1.9 million dollers" their full of ****.

on a side note, man would that suck!
i couldn't imagine going camping and haveing my kid drug off by a bear. but i also believe that normally i have something with enough power to stop any bear dragging MY kid off

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu May 05, 2011 5:37 pm

To be honest, I don't feel the same way as you guys on this. I think they got the verdict RIGHT. I know that might sound crazy, but there should also be some accountability on the Forest Service and DNR part also, which there was in this case. I'm not saying the dollar amount was correct or there percentages at fault are dead on but ther bear attacked someone else a mere 12 hours before this kid and the camp should have had better warnings or better yet, CLOSED!

Sure the family could have done better, but put yourself in their shoes...I'm not saying I would have sued in the first place but they do have a point also IMO. And their point is valid IMO.

Ultimately they are responsible, but more could have and should have been done to warn and prevent this tragedy!

Or am I crazy?

JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Post by JimmyB » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Wow..... What is wrong with the world we live in today?? Ya it's a very sad and tragic accident and I can't imagine what the family went through but if your going to go camping in Utah, in an area that is well known for bear sightings close to camps then you need to be smart and clean up your campsite and not keep food around the camp and especially in the tent, and have bear mace or a gun for protection. That's just asking a bear to come over for dinner. It's not only going to attract bears but cougars and possibly wolves too. It's like paddling on a surf board and chumming at the same time and not expecting any sharks to come taste ya. And how does a judge divide up who's at fault like that? 65% for not warning campers.... 25% for lack of communication and only 10% for leaving food in the tent and around the campsite!? Had they at least not had any food/wrappers in their tent, I bet that kid would still be alive today. You look at all the recent bear attacks or reported encounters in Utah and almost every single one of them there was food/cooking/scraps/wrapers involved. I just always thought this kinda stuff was basic common sense but these past few years have been proving me wrong.
Shooter McGavin