got a johnny stewart wireless predator e-call for my B-day!

Talk anything related to predators.
GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

got a johnny stewart wireless predator e-call for my B-day!

Post by GPWDeer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:31 pm

http://johnnystewart.com/updateable/ima ... master.jpg

My wife bought me this Johnny Stewart wireless e call for my birthday last week. I took it out on Saturday to a place where I know the coyotes are thick.

I have never tried calling them in. I have shot plenty of dogs just out hiking, but never coming to a call.

I have no idea how to properly layout the setup so I guessed. We ended up having a couple dogs come in right off the bat but as they circled to get down wind they got spooky and never came into range.

The call is amazing with the ability to have two sounds playing at the same time and it is wireless with a range of 100-250 yards for the remote.

I need some input on how to most effectively arrange my setup so that the dogs come in from down wind but don't catch my scent and still get them into range. I also need input on the following items: is scent elimination necessary, I used a feather on a hanger for a decoy, is there a better decoy, how to use the hills and flats to my advantage, time of day that works best, what sounds have worked best for those of you that have this call, volume setting, and sound play duration and how much to rest between rounds of sound and how to use the wind in my setup (a diagram would be awesome).

I liked the goat kid distress mixed with the cotton tail distress. That was what I was playing when the dogs came running. I think I may have had it set too loud and spooked them. Our cover that we setup in wasn't great either. Anyway, maybe there are some other southwest Idaho guys using this call that can offer some input on what works to a guy just getting into the sport.

As always thank you in advance!

GPWDeer
Making the swtich to the strick and string! Watch out!

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Re: got a johnny stewart wireless predator e-call for my B-d

Post by M.Bird » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:46 pm

I just learned something new that I never thought of for calling yotes. A kid goat distress sound. You said that the sound was playing at the same time or alternating between the two sounds? Thanks for the information on that sound.

GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:50 pm

The reason I tried the kid goat sound was that I have seen quite a few antelope in this area in the past. Yes the two sounds were playing simultaneously and for about 8 minutes straight.

Buck Fever
3 point
3 point

Post by Buck Fever » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:14 pm

This late in the season the yotes are getting smart and leary. Try howling first a couple times then give them some distress calls. Keep the distress calls short and only ever minute or two. It's mating season so the dogs are paired up so howling can work pretty good.
Must be mentally focused at all times!!

GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:52 am

I don't think they get much pressure up here. I could be wrong, but we were the first tracks in week old snow. I will try the howling first. Would a pup distress work or does it need to be an adult dog distress?

GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:22 am

I don't have a howler yet. What is the best one for the least money?

jersey boy
2 point
2 point

Post by jersey boy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:43 pm

I got a johnny stewat wireless predator call too just a different model i dont know how to out the picture up with this new setup sorry. #-o I got it for my bday too my bday is this sunday im getting the call in a few days hopefully i ordered it from cabelas im excited.
im a jersey boy becomin a utah boy!!!

GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:40 pm

Not to rain on your parade, but I am thinking about taking mine back. I have been out three times now without having a dog come within range while using the call. Granted I am fairly new to this style of hunting, but I a seriously frustrated. I have watched hours of predator hunting videos and I feel like I am doing everything right. I know there were dogs in the area this weekend because they were howling in response to the high-pitched cottontail and the coyote locator call, but we could not get them to budge.

I think I will give the new call at least one more try, but I am seriously considering taking the call back and trading it for a nice mouth call and a start toward the Garmin Rhino GPS/Radio I want.

I hope you are more successful with yours than I have been with mine so far. In the past I have shot a couple coyote's a day while just out driving and glassing for them. It is frustrating to hike a mile or two from the trail and spend a 1/2 setting up then spend 45 minutes calling and not see any coyotes. I could have probably seen at least one dog while driving around for the hour and a half it took me to do that series.

GPWDeer

jersey boy
2 point
2 point

Post by jersey boy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:57 pm

You got to sit there longer sometimes it will take hours before you see a yote its just like anyother sit and wait hunting. Just bring a handheld game it will go alot quicker and a better chance to see something.

jersey boy
2 point
2 point

Post by jersey boy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:41 pm

So i took my call out but no luck im just confused how long i should leave the call running for awhile or a short time and should i switch the sounds? If someone could help me out.