Utah Archery Bear hunting question

Talk anything related to predators.
DeadI

Utah Archery Bear hunting question

Post by DeadI » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:22 pm

I put in for a archery bear permit. Now if I was lucky enough (be quite 9er) to draw that tag. Is it leagal to have a pistol on my side (I do have a concealed weapons permit) for protection. If that bear comes at me after I stick it with an arrow I want something that I can defend my self with.

Do any of you guys have any knowledge on this. I can't find anything in the regs saying that I can't carry a pistol for protection if I have the concealed permit.

Thanks.
Deadi

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Re: Utah Archery Bear hunting question

Post by Buckmaster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Deadi
This is what I found in the proclamation, I think the last paragraph my work in your benifit???

(4)(a) A person who has obtained a limited entry bear archery permit may not possess or be in control of a firearm or have a firearm in his camp or motor vehicle during an archery bear hunt.

(b) The provisions of Subsection (a) do not apply to:

(i) a person licensed to hunt upland game or waterfowl, provided the person complies with Rules R657-6 and R657-9 and the Upland Game and Waterfowl guidebooks, respectively, and possesses only legal weapons to take upland game or waterfowl;

(ii) a person licensed to hunt big game species during hunts that coincide with the archery bear hunt;

(iii) livestock owners protecting their livestock; or

(iv) a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon in accordance with Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7 of the Utah Code, provided the person is not utilizing the concealed firearm to hunt or take protected wildlife.
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Yea I saw that part. It is the same for the archery big game hunts. I guess my question more applys to the rare chance that the bear charges. My bow is not going to stop a raging bear in a charge, so if I have to shoot it with the pistol to keep it from eating me, am I going to get screwed.

Guess I better make sure the camera is running so that I have evidence huh?

Another turn on that question, is what if my dad is holding the pistol.

Just wondering.
Deadi

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:44 pm

think of a bear as just a big coyote. on are ranches in new mexico there were times you would see 10 + bears within 100 yrds a day. we had 1 place you could sit on a pond and 1 night 17 bears came in to water or swim in the pond. so we were around a TON of bears and mostly they were close , with in 200 yrds. with the hundreds of bear incounter i would bet the farm on what will happen when you have a run in with a bear 99.9% of the time. they take off running as fast as they can to get away from you. i wouldn't even think about carrying a gun, there is no need. just keep a bowie knife in your teeth just in case :))

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:29 am

Since the animal you are hunting is the one that you want to protect yourself from is a big grey area. I think that if you had your father there holding the pistol then you should be fine as long as he doesn't have a tag also. I don't know of any laws that says that your father can't protect him and you if he feels threatend.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:11 pm

Hope you can run fast :))
Make sure you have the camera on! Good luck
I would call the DWR, they can explain it better than the proc.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:12 pm

if you do have someone there with you and the bear charges just make sure your shoes are tied. you don't have to out run the bear just the other person :-k :))
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:59 pm

I hunt down around monticello where there is a ton of bears and we see them all the time when i bow hunt i carry a pistol i also have a concealed permit i talked to the DWR and they said as long as i have my permit and i am not taking game with my pistol i would be fine i asked him what if i was being attacked he said that would be self deffense and that is the reason you got the concealed permit correct so you should be just fine :thumb
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com