Trophy Tom?

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
stewberd23
Spike
Spike

Trophy Tom?

Post by stewberd23 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:18 pm

What do you consider a Trophy Tom? Do you go on weight, beard length, spur length, and of coarse the fan? I shot one this year that had a beautiful fan, a 7 inch beard, 1 5/8 inch spurs, and had to be about 20 lbs or more.
Do Work

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Trophy Tom?

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Somewhere there is a formula to score toms, but I always just considered any bird with a full fan, a beard around 10 inches and good spurs a trophy. It is hard to "score" turkeys because older, more dominant birds sometimes weigh less due to a full schedule of fighting/breeding and older birds often round off their spurs. Your bird sounds like a great one and any wise old tom that you can fool has trophy value in my opinion.--------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Trophy quality is in the eye of the beholder. Myself, I consider any mature tom a trophy. Though I am waiting for that "perfect" tom to get a full mount done someday. [-o<

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Turkey scoring system : 1. Spur Length X 10 (per side)
2. Beard Length X 2
3. Weight

Add them all up and you get your score based off of the NWTF scoring system. IMO any tom is a trophy if you had to work to get him.
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

MuleyHunterNV
Spike
Spike

Post by MuleyHunterNV » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:14 pm

I agree with WinMag. If you think it is a great bird, take it. think of the average first deer. It might have been a tiny deer, but you thought it was the greatest deer in the world.