Fall turkey success w/ beared hen

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Fall turkey success w/ beared hen

Post by JLROOT » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:26 am

I lucked into my fall turkey this saturday. When I say luck, i mean a whole powder horn full of it.

This past weekend was the last couple of days for muzzle loader season for deer and elk in the area that I hunt in. So there I am, in blaze orange out looking for turkeys to try to put the sneak on. I ran into an older gentleman hunting for elk with his flint lock. He was not familier with the area so I told him about the way the drainage he was hunting open up into little valley. He told me about seeing some turkey in another area the day before. I know the area where that he was talking about so I headed in that direction.

There is an erosion pond in that area and that is where I found 6 turkies. Here is where the luck realy starts. The largest hen saw me putted and they all took to the scrub oak. Havind nothing to loose a I ran across an open area to a spot in the direction they were headed. When I got there the birds were just kind of milling around. They acted like I wasn't even there. I snuck to with in 30 yards and waited for a clear shot. A nice size hen stuck her head out of a clump of scrub oak and my hunt ended.

What realy suprised me was that she had a coulple of beard hairs about 2 in long.

So my hunting is done until november, then I will see if I have to eat tag soup again this year.
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Re: Fall turkey success w/ beared hen

Post by TheHardWay » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Bearded hens are pretty cool. I have a two that have been hanging out here around my house for the past couple of years. Their beards are bigger than some jakes I have seen....4-5" and rather thick!