First Turkey

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
canyonhunter
Spike
Spike

First Turkey

Post by canyonhunter » Sat May 21, 2011 1:51 pm

This morning, my dad and I went turkey hunting. This year all the turkeys I have seen have been on private property. I was really wanting to shoot one with my bow and I had missed 3 earlier in the hunt when I was with my friend on his property. So at about 7:30 while we were driving down the road we seen a tom strutting with a single hen. We called the property owner and were allowed to go try to get a shot. We parked down in the creek below and started sneaking up there. My dad didn't want to lose an arrow in the field so he made me bring only the shotgun. We lost sight of them until we got to about 100 yards from them. When we spotted them again in the edge of the field there was actually 2 toms. We stayed there and were trying to call them. They were interested but wouldn't quite come in. After they walked behind some trees, we snuck down a little farther. When we topped back into the field they was gone. We decided to go around a little bend in the field. My dad was walkin in front of me when he stopped and dropped to his knees and said that the two toms were walking right to us and were about 30 yards away just around a bush. He said get ready to shoot. I slid the safety off and as I was slowly bringing the gun to my shoulder I seen a tom take a couple steps out from behind a brush about 20 yards away. As soon as it stopped I pulled the trigger. The bird dropped. I had no idea how big a beard he had and was surprised to find an 8 inch beard!

Thx for reading and enjoy the pictures!
IMG_4091.JPG
IMG_4091.JPG (113.06 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
IMG_4094.JPG
IMG_4094.JPG (111.11 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
IMG_4095.JPG
IMG_4095.JPG (111.38 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
IMG_4101.JPG
IMG_4101.JPG (61.03 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
And of course, after you kill a turkey you gotta kick back and enjoy a Pepsi Throwback! :thumb
IMG_4092.JPG
IMG_4092.JPG (97.76 KiB) Viewed 4586 times

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Re: First Turkey

Post by JLROOT » Mon May 23, 2011 8:46 am

Nice Job. I bet your heart was going a mile a minute.

You will remember that first bird for the rest of your life. All the better since your dad was there with you. 10sign:
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'