Back in the dog bussines again.

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
a_bow_nut

Back in the dog bussines again.

Post by a_bow_nut » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:03 am

I have been moping around for awhile now when the wife said that she found a dog at the pound that she really liked. To say the least I wasn't happy at all and told her that I didn't want anything to do with another dog yet. :nono:

The wife kept saying that it was a springer mix and that turned me off even worse on it. She kept saying that it was a smart and good looking dog but I wasn't having any of it.

Well after hanging around her for about a minute I was hooked also so now we are the proud owners of a mutt.

It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures but she's a lab and springer mix. :huh

She has the build of a lab all the way down to her coat that will keep the water off of her while retriving but has the jowels (sp) and the colors of a springer. (???)

We have been working with her for about a week now and she is pretty smart. And does well when she wants to listen. They told us that they think that she is around two years old. They don't know because they found her wandering the streets in the middle of January and she sat at the pound for just over a month before we got here.

One quick question though. When we have took her to the pet store to get her set up we noticed that when we went past the bird area it's almost like she is going on point but not all the way. Is there a book that can teach me how to work on these skills?
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:05 am

do you think that it might of has training before you guys got it. i love any type of dog thats a lab and i think yours is a good lookin dog :thumb
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:08 am

Can't help you with the book sorry, but thanks for sharing the pics. Sounds like you warmed up to the wife and dog pretty quick. :)

Good job, hope he a great pet for ya!

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 am

Your wife has good taste, has she always picked smart and good looking =D>

Nice dog and I can see Lab and Springer, you got the best of both breeds. :thumb

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:28 pm

yo bow nut,
you've got two completely different instincts working against each other.
If you let it go, she will probably become a pause/flusher. She'll lock up for a sec before nosing in on the bird.
Get some good obedience training in her, get her to where she obays commands real well, then try to whoa train her and see what happens.
you'll have to teach her to hunt close to make it effective, but should turn out good if you put in your time

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:11 pm

hey o ya and in that last pic is that the Heber airport
Cody

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:24 pm

Chet,

I hadn't thought of that it sounds like a good idea. Been working on the obedince and it's coming along slowly but at least it's coming along.

Bigbuck,

Yeah that is the school bus station that sits right next to the airport. That is where we have our carpet store at.

the difference.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:06 pm

a_bow_nut, great lookin' dog my friend! Good luck on the training.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:04 pm

i think i might of seen your store the last time i went though there. im gonna see if i can see it next time im gonna be though there which is friday
Cody

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:51 am

Wayne,

This is our first dog togather and you're right she did a fine job of picking out the dog. We have only been married for two years on the 26th of this month so Gage was all my dog. Funny thing is that they had a bit of a power struggle when we first got married. Gage was always might left hand man for so many years that he didn't see any reason to change it. But after awhile he accepted her into the pack and we were one big happy family.

Bigbuck,

It won't be hard to find the store we are nestled back in the corner of the bussines perk there and there is a big old sign out on the street. Sad part is that even though I'm a bussines owner I still have a full time job over in Park City working for an areospace manufacturing plant.

What's up with that? (???)

the difference.