Intro to birds!!!!!!

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
9er
Monster
Monster

Intro to birds!!!!!!

Post by 9er » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:52 pm

For those of you who have trained your own dog, or if you know, what is the best way to introduce your dog to live birds?????

Im thinking my pup is ready for the real thing!!! Im just not sure how to do it the right way. so any pointers or tricks will be appreciated

thanks

9er
Watch your top knot!

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Re: Intro to birds!!!!!!

Post by NONYA » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:55 pm

I start with dead or dummy birds,use them as a retriving tool/toy,get them used to using their nose by throwing it in brush/weeds oonce you have the basic retrieve established.A couple duck or grouse wings attached to your retrieve dummy works good.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:58 pm

NONYA,

i have the retrieve down good, and he will find the dummy when i throw it in brush etc, how would you introduce "LIVE" birds? just take him hunting, or is there a better way?

thanks
9er
Watch your top knot!

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:14 pm

If he will retrieve the dummy with a wing on it he will retrieve a dead/wounded bird,field work is the best traaining there is for "live" birds IMO,I would train with shooting before I worry about birds,have a friend fire a shot with the shotgun as you throw the dummy,get him used to the shooting/retrieve situation and he ll do the rest.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:19 pm

Thanks NONYA,

as far as shooting, ive shot around him quite a bit!!! if we can get some decent weather ill take him out and get him on some pigeons =D> =D> =D>

thanks
9er
Watch your top knot!

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:06 pm

You have to make that connection between shooting and retrieves b4 you hunt over him,thats key. :222

MTredneck
Spike
Spike

Post by MTredneck » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:05 am

let him fetch dead ones first i mean all the way dead. not flopping around on the ground, sometimes that has a tendency to scare a dog. so once he gets comfortable retreiving dead birds let him have it on a live one(cripple) and see what happens. well good luck to ya
keep her tween the ditches(rdneck for be safe)
you cant tell a rdneck what to do (coach Starnes)
"women stay at home, cook dinner, have our babies and bring me a beer when i holler for it" coach starnes again

MTduckslayer
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MTduckslayer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:01 am

MTredneck wrote:let him fetch dead ones first i mean all the way dead. not flopping around on the ground, sometimes that has a tendency to scare a dog. so once he gets comfortable retreiving dead birds let him have it on a live one(cripple) and see what happens. well good luck to ya
Exactly right. I know a lot of people who will start out with pigeon wings though instead of the dead bird. Its personal perferance though. Then once he gets going on dead ones or wings, clipped-wing pigeons are also a very good idea. It's recommended by many of the experts. Have fun and let us know how it turns out!