Colorado Springs Turkey Hunting partner wanted

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Colorado Springs Turkey Hunting partner wanted

Post by JLROOT » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:27 am

Is there anyone out there that will be hunting turkey on Ft Carson next weekend?
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Ready
Spike
Spike

Re: Colorado Springs Turkey Hunting partner wanted

Post by Ready » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Wish I lived closer to you. I would be game for that in a heartbeat, but it's too far away for me. Good luck to you when you go. Be sure to report back with the story. I would love to hear all about it.

Dustin

RLL
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RLL » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:48 pm

Hey JL.

I just found this forum. I live in Security. I've been hunting south / south east of Westcliffe the last two weekends. I've seen lots of birds on private land but nothing on National Forest and BLM land. I hunted below the snow line near Bishop's Castle on opening day. Nothing to show for it but tired, sore feet. This past weekend I was down near CR 630 and Wilson creek, north of Rye. Again, nothing. Saw lots of deer and elk though. I might not be doing well on turkeys but I'm getting in some good scouting for the archery elk season.

So what's the story with the big fire? I'm thinking it might have pushed the birds south and west of Hwy 115.

I'd be game to hunt on Carson. But isn't there lots of red tape to go through?

Bob

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Post by JLROOT » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:06 am

Hey RLL

The fire on Ft. Carson did jack things up quite a bit. I think you are right about the majority of the birds crossing 115. The started on the west side of the base near 115 so it might have pushed some east and south. However, eternal optimist that I am, I went out Saturday and heard at least 2, maybe 3 toms gobble. The reason I say maybe 3 is that there were 3 gobbles at one time. Could be that one of them double gobbled. The gobbles were right on top of one another.
As you probably know when you hunt on Ft Carson you have to sign in and out of hunting areas. Just my luck the birds were in an area that was closed to hunting, due to the fire. It was an area that I wanted to hunt because I had scouted that area and found all kinds of sign. Call as I might I could not get the toms to come to me.
My calling sucks so it could have been me.
The red tape is not all that bad, more of an inconvinence more than anything else.

Here is what you need to hunt on base:

1. Your weapon must be registered on base, even if it is a bow. This has to be done only once for each weapon that you intend to bring onto Ft. Carson.

2. You must attend a down range recreational briefing and get the paper work saying you have attend. Depending on the amount of questions asked by the participants the briefing could last 30 - 60 min. The good news is that the briefing is held every Saturday. They will explain the rules and regs of hunting on
base to include the signing in and out of hunting areas and of limits areas.

3. After you have attended the briefing you go to outdoor recreation to get a post permit. The permit is good until the end of the calender year. If you intend to hunt After Dec 31st you have to go through the process all over again. The permit cost $25.00. Considering the price of gas and the base being so close I think the permit pays for its self.

4. If you do not have a post vehicle permit you have to get your vehicle inspected each time you come on base. The will probably check your firearm registration at that time. Since I am retired and work on base my vehicle is registered on base so 99% of the time I just show my ID and come through the gate with no problem. I have had my weapon registration checked just 3 times in 15 years of hunting on base.

If you decide to you want to hunt on base I will be happy show you around.
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

RLL
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RLL » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:15 pm

JL,

Yea, I really think there might be some birds just south of the burn area, east of Hwy 115. I've seen them crossing many times while driving through there lately. In fact one day on the radio they said there was a big gobbler fight in the middle of the road that had traffic backed up. That whole on base area all the way down to Penrose looks awesome.

I'm leaving for Missouri this Friday for vacation. Bass fishing and Turkey hunting is on the schedule. I have a semi-guided one day hunt outside Branson. Then it's 4 solid days of bass fishing at Table Rock Lake. I'll be back on May 12th. Maybe I could sign up that week I return and attend the safety briefing on Saturday the 17th? The season ends on the 25th so that leaves a couple more weekends to hunt. I have some great decoys and am a pretty good caller. If there are birds in the area we should be able to roust them up. If possible I might get both my bow and shotgun registered. But I'd really love to get one on a bow.

Do you know where Venetucci Ranch is right off Hwy 85/87? There's about 30 birds out there. At least 10 of them are big Toms. I see them everyday driving to and from work. Drive's me crazy!!

You can reach me on my cell @ 719-661-0117 if you'd like to plan something.

Bob

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Post by JLROOT » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:29 am

Bob

I have to make a correction. It seems that the down range recreational breifs, the one required to get the post permit are onle give on the first and last Wed. of the month.

The phone # for the recording is 526-4136. The recording gives information on available hunting areas.

Sorry for the confusion. That pretty much eliminates you attending the briefing in time for the spring season.