Old Dogs

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Old Dogs

Post by Don Fischer » Thu May 22, 2008 8:42 am

I feel sorry for those that have never loved a dog. I look back at some of my old dogs and I think that they have moulded me into who I am. Kate had the most heart of any dog I ever saw. Out hunting years ago I shot a pheasant and it went down across an old dirt road, middle of nowhere. She got the bird and started back and here comes a truck out of nowhere, smashed right into her. Split her chest open, the skin, but she got up and finished the retrieve. Then I had to catch her as she was going out again. 22 stiches later, we went home.

Ace was one of the classiest dog I ever knew. He'd stop your heart on a point. He always seemed to have that little bit extra that most dogs just couldn't find.

Dude was just Dude. He loved hunting and was a happy guy. Used to crack his tail so hard he'd come in bathed in blood. One time he came in missing about an inch off the end of histail. He was still a happy guy!

Hannah was one of my all time favorites. She was my dog and made sure everybody understood it. Tiny was her daughter and the dog that got my ex into bird dogs. Lefty was Hannah's son. Pure white with a liver head, he ran a moderate All Age race in trials but handled like a gun dog. If he could hear you, he handled right now.

Well the ex brought over some old photo's and of course these guys are all there.

Me and Kate near Vale, Ore in the beet fields

The ex and Ace

Dude

Me and the ex near Vale, Ore. Hannah with me, Tiny above left and Lefty behind the ex.

So who's got some old photo's of dogs past to share?

WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Re: Old Dogs

Post by WillysDad » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:07 am

Thanks for sharing Don :thumb . My dogs have been the highlight of my life for sure. My family were Pit Bull people mostly. Yea, dog fighters! For over 300 yrs. starting back in the "old country".

I myself had 2 coon dogs as a teen, a redboneXbluetick & a treeing walker. My best dog from my teens and early twenties was a German Shorthaired Pointer X Alaskan Malamute/Arctic Grey Wolf. He could do it all! Silent trail coon, tree squirrels, run rabbits,flush grouse and pheasant and retrieve geese & ducks. We never taught him a thing. He figured it out himself. When I left for bootcamp it tore me up to leave him! Not my family, girlfriend or friends. My dog!

Chris
The more people I meet the more I prefer dogs!