Choosing a dog breed

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
Wild Antlers
2 point
2 point

Re: Choosing a dog breed

Post by Wild Antlers » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:50 pm

[quote="79Ford"]There's not a thing in the world wrong with a mutt. A dog does not have to be pure bred to love and want to be loved. Just because a lab is mixed with a boxer or some other kind of breed does not mean he has lost all hunting ability. However I in no way agree with these people who breed a lab with a german shorthair, etc.. and then try and sell them for a couple of hundred bucks when there are unregistered pure bred pups that wont sell for that much. There's nothing wrong with a mutt, but it doesnt make it worth any more money to me......[/quote

I agree
Ya as far as paying more for a mixed breed ya whats the point in that but still could make for a good dog I would deffinetely give one a chance if I had the opportunity, I dont think Id be willing to pay for it though not being AKC registered.

As far as these dogs breed I believe they are not from german shorthairs I think they come from a line of english pointers which in my opinion is a better choice of mix!!
WILD ANTLERS

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:35 pm

Wild Antlers wrote: As far as these dogs breed I believe they are not from german shorthairs I think they come from a line of english pointers which in my opinion is a better choice of mix!!
I saw some pointer/lab mixes for sale the other day, that's the only reason i mentioned the german short hairs.

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:33 pm

One very serious consideration when breeding dogs is this; what are you doing with a specific breeding to better the breed? What does your dog have that makes him/her worth breeding that will contribute to the gene pool?

There is NO WAY that mixing 2 breeds together (labs/pointers) is going to do ANYTHING to improve either of those breeds. Nothing. Nada. All you have done is pollute the gene pool. Somewhere down the road the mutts will be bred to a purebred lab or pointer and the gene pool is further diluted.

Sure, all dog breeds were started somewhere.And it was only through very selective breeding, culling (killing) of the undesirable pups and very strict breeding controls that led to what we see as recognized breeds today. I have no way of knowing what selective processes these designer dog breeders are using, but my gut tells me that the only real motivation that they have is making money. I doubt they would kill a pup that they could sell for $500 to $1000 just because the color wasn't right.

I'll stick to the purebred pups. If I want a dog that points, I'll buy one of those. If I want a waterfowl dog, I'll buy one of those. Sure, some breeds are versatile, but any serious upland hunter is going to buy a pointer. That's what they were bred to do. Any serious waterfowler is going to buy a water dog. That's what they were bred to do. Mixing the two isn't going to produce the perfect all around puppy.
Hoyt

Wild Antlers
2 point
2 point

Post by Wild Antlers » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:29 am

How is breeding two breeds together hurting either breed if what you get out of it is a good pointing dog and a dog that loves and can handle the water and the cold temperatures!
And Im pretty sure the people that have been breeding these dogs are pretty selective on the dogs they choose as far as ive seen these people are professional dog breeders that are trying to get the best out of both breeds for the point of having a good pointer and water dog . who ever turned these dogs into a designer breed and charging for them?
And what is culling and who in there right mind would do this to a pup before its even had a chance to show its true characteristics Im pretty sure that aint the way they would go about as far as ive seen these dogs look to be great dogs who cares if it isnt akc registered as long as it does the job, right?
Ive never been a fan of mixed breeds but as far as ive seen it dont make a difference in their performance it just looks to be a good dog for both worlds,maybe even better than some of the purebreds who knows till you actually see or try for yourself!!
WILD ANTLERS

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:48 am

Wild Antlers wrote:How is breeding two breeds together hurting either breed if what you get out of it is a good pointing dog and a dog that loves and can handle the water and the cold temperatures!
And Im pretty sure the people that have been breeding these dogs are pretty selective on the dogs they choose as far as ive seen these people are professional dog breeders that are trying to get the best out of both breeds for the point of having a good pointer and water dog . who ever turned these dogs into a designer breed and charging for them?
And what is culling and who in there right mind would do this to a pup before its even had a chance to show its true characteristics Im pretty sure that aint the way they would go about as far as ive seen these dogs look to be great dogs who cares if it isnt akc registered as long as it does the job, right?
Ive never been a fan of mixed breeds but as far as ive seen it dont make a difference in their performance it just looks to be a good dog for both worlds,maybe even better than some of the purebreds who knows till you actually see or try for yourself!!
I'm not going to try to convince you about the merits of a purebred over the merits of a mutt. You don't magically get the "perfect all around dog" just by breeding two dogs of different breeds together. It doesn't work that way. Genetically speaking, there are way too many variables involved. Trust me, I know a little bit about dogs and dog breeding and training.

Using your logic, I could ask for a lab that I want to weigh about 35 lbs to hunt out of a small boat. I could just take my lab and breed him to a smaller dog and magically get a Labrador retriever of smaller stature that still maintains all of the positive traits of a lab, correct? Nope. Doesn't work that way.

Also, for the recognized breeds to get where they are today, hundreds of pups were culled until the breed was reliable. That's how it works. Do some research. It isn't nice to think about, but that's the way it was done.

Maybe you and I just see differently on what a "good dog" is capable of. I have pretty high standards when it comes to my dog and their work. I've hunted over dogs that were supposed to be good working dogs and had a miserable day. I've hunted over my dogs with friends that tell me that they have never hunted over a better dog. Mine aren't perfect, but I have opened peoples eyes to what good dog work really is.

Training wise, if you can get your dog to a Senior Hunter level in the Hunt Test games, or a QAA level in the Field Trial games, you'll have a dog better than what most hunters have ever had the pleasure of hunting over. The majority of people that I know never spend the time to train to that level and most aren't even aware that their dogs are capable of being trained to that level.

Good luck with whatever dog breed you choose. But please don't try to convince me that a cross between a lab and a pointer has magically created the all around perfect breed. It just doesn't work that way, at least not reliably. It takes years of breeding discipline and years of culling out the undesirable traits to get there.
Hoyt

Wild Antlers
2 point
2 point

Post by Wild Antlers » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:39 am

mark jones wrote:
Wild Antlers wrote:How is breeding two breeds together hurting either breed if what you get out of it is a good pointing dog and a dog that loves and can handle the water and the cold temperatures!
I'm not going to try to convince you about the merits of a purebred over the merits of a mutt. You don't magically get the "perfect all around dog" just by breeding two dogs of different breeds together. It doesn't work that way. Genetically speaking, there are way too many variables involved. Trust me, I know a little bit about dogs and dog breeding and training.

Using your logic, I could ask for a lab that I want to weigh about 35 lbs to hunt out of a small boat. I could just take my lab and breed him to a smaller dog and magically get a Labrador retriever of smaller stature that still maintains all of the positive traits of a lab, correct? Nope. Doesn't work that way.

Also, for the recognized breeds to get where they are today, hundreds of pups were culled until the breed was reliable. That's how it works. Do some research. It isn't nice to think about, but that's the way it was done.

Maybe you and I just see differently on what a "good dog" is capable of. I have pretty high standards when it comes to my dog and their work. I've hunted over dogs that were supposed to be good working dogs and had a miserable day. I've hunted over my dogs with friends that tell me that they have never hunted over a better dog. Mine aren't perfect, but I have opened peoples eyes to what good dog work really is.

Training wise, if you can get your dog to a Senior Hunter level in the Hunt Test games, or a QAA level in the Field Trial games, you'll have a dog better than what most hunters have ever had the pleasure of hunting over. The majority of people that I know never spend the time to train to that level and most aren't even aware that their dogs are capable of being trained to that level.

Good luck with whatever dog breed you choose. But please don't try to convince me that a cross between a lab and a pointer has magically created the all around perfect breed. It just doesn't work that way, at least not reliably. It takes years of breeding discipline and years of culling out the undesirable traits to get there.
Who ever said that a cross between a lab and a pointer was a perfect dog pretty sure I didnt say that ! and Im pretty sure if you actually seen one of these dogs work you would probably be suprised just as I was,and ive been there too with people watching my dog find most the birds and making there purebreds look not so pure the fact of the matter is you dont have to have papers to have a good dog or even a great dog and im sure there are many people that would agree wether these dogs are good or not it was just a comment on what I had seen and wouldnt have even suggested otherwise!!As I said before Ive had many dogs most all purebred labs,weimeraner,english setter,and have hunted and been around dogs my hole life and I wouldnt be saying it if I hadnt seen it , I also have very high standards when it comes to my dogs but that dont mean a mutt cant perform as ive seen many times!!And yes these dogs were being handled by professionals and im sure these werent the only dogs they ever worked with so that has to say something I dont think they would be breeding dogs this way if it wasnt producing something good right!!! maybe they were just amateurs making these dogs look good who knows maybe one day youll see one of there dogs work and actually like what you see as I did , who knows !! :) Enough said!!
WILD ANTLERS

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:28 am

This doesn’t really relate to water fowl but you can’t go wrong with a Border collie..

Here’s my hunting hound. (she likes to smile)
She is an awesome hunting dog. My brother and I would go coon hunting in the river bottoms and she would put my brother’s hounds to shame. She is feisty with coons. Cuts tracks great. Last winter she cut a coyote track and took off. I saw her running like wild fire chasing the yote through cedars until I called her off.
She hunts mice and chipmunks all day long in my back yard. Very smart and quick learners. Very obedient and mindful.
Rabbit hound also. Addicted to playing ball. Last summer I was curious to see if she would fetch a bird after I shot it… Sure enough when it fell from the sky I said go get it. She didn’t even hesitate. Brought it back with a few feathers missing though..
Great dog for sure..

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:12 pm

AntlersOutWest ,
That is funny cause I grew up around border collies and Austrailian shepherds my entire life. I have an Aussie right now name Bocephus. He smiles too!!!! lol
Anyway they are very very intelligent and I have had a few that would hunt like that too but most of them were very gun shy since they have very sensitive ears. Anywho Continue with the hunting dog posts lol
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Wild Antlers
2 point
2 point

Post by Wild Antlers » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Cute pic! lol yes those border collies are one of the most intelligent dogs out there you can teach them to do anything , other than trying to teach them not to chase lol
WILD ANTLERS

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:29 pm

Just doing what they were bred to do. I had a border collie mix and every morning when i'd let him out i'd say "go get the birds" and he'd take off out through the field kicking up the birds. His favorite were the geese because they took a little longer to get off the ground and he thought he was going to get a big prize, but he never got one.