NEWBY CLEANING QUESTION

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
JLROOT
2 point
2 point

NEWBY CLEANING QUESTION

Post by JLROOT » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:07 am

OK, it may sound stupid but here goes:

What is the best way to clean ducks? I here alot about using duck breasts. It sounds a like that is the only portion of the duck used. Right now I just pluck the whole bird (minus wings) and freeze them. It is a lot of work with feather going every where. Not to mention the local cats seem to come from every where at one time. Is it just a matter of peeling back the skin from the breasts and pulling the meat from the breast?

I roasted 2 mallards (whole) and they tasted great. I stuffed the birds with green pepper, celery, garlic cloves and quarted oranges and layed some bacon strips across the breasts before roasting.
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: NEWBY CLEANING QUESTION

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:19 am

If you are looking for an easier way to get just the breasts here is what I do. Pluck some of the feathers right over the breasts. Pinch the skin where you plucked and but a hole in it. Once you have that hole just cut a straight line up and down the breast hen peel the skin off to the sides. Once it is opened up just cut along the breast bone on each breast and you will be able to peel the breasts out without all of the mess of dealing with the whole bird. Good luck hope it helps. :thumb
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:39 am

sneekeepete wrote:If you are looking for an easier way to get just the breasts here is what I do. Pluck some of the feathers right over the breasts. Pinch the skin where you plucked and but a hole in it. Once you have that hole just cut a straight line up and down the breast hen peel the skin off to the sides. Once it is opened up just cut along the breast bone on each breast and you will be able to peel the breasts out without all of the mess of dealing with the whole bird. Good luck hope it helps. :thumb
That's the same way I do it and it's a lot less messy than plucking the whole bird. It's also easier if the bird is still warm when you clean it.

For the record that way also works good for rabbits.

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Post by JLROOT » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks. That will shorten the cleaning time by quite a bit. :thumb
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:26 pm

rabbits have breasts? I know Jessica Rabbit does........ but regular ole' rabbits?

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:39 pm

chet wrote:
rabbits have breasts? I know Jessica Rabbit does........ but regular ole' rabbits?
:funny-post
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:16 pm

chet wrote:
Well, you know......