Utah turkey hunters

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Utah turkey hunters

Post by kinzysdad » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:56 am

What I know about turkeys in Utah makes for a very small book. I would like to start putting in for a tag. I think they would be a blast to hunt, but I dont know squat about it. Does anyone here hunt Utah turkeys that would be willing to share any info. I've seen birds in American Fork canyon and lots of birds in Butterfield canyon. Are those areas you can hunt? I realize I'm sounding like a moron, but hey, cant hurt to ask.

Justin
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Re: Utah turkey hunters

Post by hound_hunter » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:32 am

hopefully this turns out to be a good post. i made my whole family put in this year but none of us know anything about turkeys, haha

cwp
Spike
Spike

Post by cwp » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:33 pm

I have hunted turkeys for years.......well I haven't been able to draw a tag, my luck as usual, but family members have and friends. In my mind it is a blast. There is nothing like a gobbler coming into the call and the anticipation between when you see him and when the shot goes off. One thing I would caution you about though is that the birds are a lot smarter than you would think. They have excellent eye sight and are very cautious; which makes for a very interesting hunt. I would recommend it to anyone.
Cory

zrider2
Spike
Spike

Post by zrider2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:55 pm

I will have 3 points this year, i dont know much about turkies either. I have seen a lot out near Grantsville in the South and North Willow canyons. When do they rut??
Athens Archery Field Staff
Athens Accomplice 34
Vortex Diamondbacks

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:28 pm

zrider2 wrote:I will have 3 points this year, i dont know much about turkies either. I have seen a lot out near Grantsville in the South and North Willow canyons. When do they rut??
Turkeys 'rut' in April and May. South and North Willow get lots of pressure during turkey seasons, but there are lots of turkeys out here in Tooele County.
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:52 am

Is Butterfield canyon open to turkey hunting?

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:08 pm

Only turkeys I have seen have been up Spanish Fork Canyon, and some up Daniels Canyon.

Wasatch Wonder
Spike
Spike

Post by Wasatch Wonder » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:16 am

I'm not sure if these areas are huntable, but I have also seen lots of turkeys up Provo Canyon by Big Springs (it's off the South Fork). I have also seen Turkeys just up from midway going toward Guardsmans pass.

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:29 pm

This just sucks. I can see the pump gun all wrapped nice and pretty under the tree but I cant put in for the tag untill after christmas. I dont want to give away that I know what it is. ugggg lol

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:01 pm

I ususally do not read this upland game forum,just because I have never hunted them but I would like to this up comming season.
Look on Utah's game proclamtions.
The DWR transplanted some turkeys in Francis a few years back and I see them all over the Kamas Valley now.. Good luck to you