What makes a trophy duck?

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
79Ford
Monster
Monster

What makes a trophy duck?

Post by 79Ford » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:49 pm

So this may sound like a naive question, but what makes a trophy duck? I have had people tell me that on Mallards it's determined by how much the tail feathers curl. Well how much do they need to curl before i should to take it to a taxidermist? Or is there even any way to tell and it's just a personal choice?

DeadI

Re: What makes a trophy duck?

Post by DeadI » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:14 pm

On Mallards I have always been told it is the number of "Full Curls" that the duck has.
On a Pintail it is the lenght of the longest tail feathers, kind of like on pheasants.
On a Widgeon it is how white the cotton top on there head is.
And on any water fowl if it is banded I consider it a trophy. But the farther from its banding location the more of a trophy that band is, or the older the bird is from the band info the more of a trophy.
Deadi

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:56 am

Good info to know. So the most curls i've seen on a mallard is about 3/4 of a curl. Guess I'm just shooting the young ones.

Thanks for the info DeadI

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:57 pm

depends on where your at. here we rarely shoot wood ducks, there very pretty birds, but i went to a buddy of mines place and you could shoot many limits of woodys. banded birds are pretty cool. i killed a double banded mallard last year. 1 of the bands was a $100.00 reward band---TROPHY!!!! when i got the carsd back on it the bird was banded 9 yrs earlier and was mature when it was banded. i dont know what the lifespan of a duck is but that seems very old. unfortunatly the reward had expired 3 yrs earlier. but not to many guys have a money band on there lanyard :thumb

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:35 pm

To bad you were not able to collet the 100 $ killer.

I have never shot a banded bird so there fore when I do, it will be a trophy for me. I have shot a few mallards with (3) full curls, and I have shot one with 4 full curls. I have got a pintail that had about a 9" pin which I beileve to be a pretty long pin (tail feather).

My boss shot a goose up in Canada this year that was banded 19 years ago.
Deadi

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:37 pm

holy &^$# 19 yrs??? someone [ usually AGCHAWK lol lol ] should try to figure the lifespan af a duck or goose. i thought my duck that was 9 had to be about max. maybe not? 19 yr old goose, i bet that sucker seen some decoys in his day............ but not mine :))

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:23 am

I don't know about ducks, but the oldest goose band to be harvested according to a waterfowl magazine this same kid has says that the oldest goose known is i think 23 years.
Deadi

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:02 pm

I did some reading and it looks like the average lifespan of a wild duck can be anywhere between 15 and 20 years. It is different depending on the type of duck and where they are located but that is the round about life span. It suprised me that they lived that long but it was cool to look it up and find out. Anywho hopefully I can get my first banded bird this year! :thumb happy hunting to you all.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:02 pm

thats interesting. i would have never guessed that old. thanks for the info :thumb

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:50 am

My first though on this thread was, a sound out of the normal will make a trophy duck. Or maybe jumping the string! Then I see it is a duck and now I read of a 19yr old goose. How do you cook a 19 yr old goose?