What makes a trophy duck?

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Re: What makes a trophy duck?

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:23 pm

Don, I think ya BOIL a 19 year old goose cause he probably ain't worth eating at that point!..LOL

Killer, the AVERAGE lifespan of a typical Canada Goose in the wild is 10-24 years of age. I'm sure it's still rather rare to bag one that old, it's got to be even more rare to bag one that is also banded.

But, it sounds like you bagged a duck that is just as rare. The average lifespan of a wild mallard is 5-10 years. Therefore, you duck is every bit as comparable to the 19 year old goose.

Sneekee, you are also not "wrong". A mallard in captivity can reach 20 years of age and there have been a few documented. I suppose if you found one in the wild that spent the majority of it's life in a city park, state park, or something similar then they could certainly breech the average wild age of that same species.

killerbee

Re: What makes a trophy duck?

Post by killerbee » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 pm

you can always count on you hawk! :thumb good info
i have a buddy who shot a banded widgeon. the band was so old and wore out you couldn't read the numbers and the edges of it are sharp! makes you wonder how old that duck was. but we also figure that could be caused from being in a sandy area for a while. that, you would think, would put alot of where on a band....