Southern regional first time turkey help.

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
elkaholic2981
Fawn
Fawn

Southern regional first time turkey help.

Post by elkaholic2981 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:07 am

Hey all

This is going to be my sons and my first turkey hunt I got us both Southern regional tags. We plan on useing bows but are bringing shotguns for a back up. any advice would be great cause this it our first hunt EVER lol. Ya I am a green horn I know but I thought turkey would be a good warm up for him and me. I would appreciate any help on locations to go to and such thanks for the help.
Was that a bugle or a sick duck??? try again.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Southern regional first time turkey help.

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Be my first time out also. Lots of areas have Turkeys, I'll let you know what/if I find any. Pine Valley has them, Cedar Mtn., Pauns, I'll be near New Harmony or Paunsaugunt likely.

Ready
Spike
Spike

Re: Southern regional first time turkey help.

Post by Ready » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:42 pm

Most of you don't know, but I'm a certifyable turkey nut. My family will all be chasing birds in the Southern region this spring. My 10 year old son will be looking to tie a tag on his third gobbler in a row this spring. He is waaaayyy excited (and so am I).

As far as advice, we hunted the southern region pretty hard this last year and we did end up getting our birds. However, my advice is to leave the bow in camp. You may only get one chance a bird with that tag and if you have a bow in hand, you may eat tag soup. Of course, all bowhunters know that the hunt is all about the challenge. Just be prepared to go home without a tom.

Next bit of advice is to get out there and scout, scout, scout! This is important in all hunting, but I think it is even more important in turkey hunting. Most of the guys that I know that didn't get their bird last year, didn't earn him before the season started. Too many guys just show up opening day of the season and expect toms to be sounding off on all the ridges around camp. This rarely happens (but sometimes does), but you'll increase your chances for a good hunt if you do all you can to prepare ahead of time, especially with the scouting!

Just my .02

Dustin