Turkey area question. Region tags and specific unit tags?

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Turkey area question. Region tags and specific unit tags?

Post by hound_hunter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm a little confused I think. So I have heard of the tags that are split up into specific areas. Micro managed units I guess is what i'm trying to say, like colorado's deer hunt boundries vs. utah. So those micro managed units are the only ones ive ever known about, but then on here I hear you guys talking about regions permits, like the full southern region. Take for example this, My dad has a tag for the fish lake - plateau which would normally be in the southern unit, does someone who has a "southern region tag" or whatever it may be called have the option to hunt in the fish lake - plateau unit and also anywhere else in the southern unit for utah?

I know i've confused most of you, cause im confused about this myself, haha. but hopefully at least one of you gets what im trying to say

a_bow_nut

Re: Turkey area question. Region tags and specific unit tags

Post by a_bow_nut » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:48 am

Yes they do have region tags now. The difference between the two are that the smaller unitsthat have fewer tags are during the height of the breeding season when the toms will be strutting hot and heavy. These hunts are either in the end of March of in the month of April. Most of the region hunts take place in the month of May. The wife and I drew Souteast Region tags and our hunt starts like the second weekend of may and goes to the end of the month. It may be a harder hunt but we thought that we would go down to the Herny Mountains and poke around and chase some toms and look at some deer. The last that I heard there were some tags for sale over the counter for some of the region hunts. One thing to keep in mind though if you buy one of these tags you will lose any other turkey points that you may have.

Hope that this helped in some way.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:55 am

Here is a link to the tags that were left over after the draw.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/uplandgame/09_ ... aining.php
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:19 am

Great information a_bow_nut. Thanks, you cleared everything up