Skunked on the turkey hunt (gotta read this)

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
camodup
3 point
3 point

Skunked on the turkey hunt (gotta read this)

Post by camodup » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:47 pm

So my dad drew a tag on the turkey hunt this year, and we have been watchin a ton of turkeys up in this secret spot im not gonna mention, and yesterday on the opener we didnt really try to get one because we wanted to wait til today to try our luck so we basically scouted but with a gun and a frickin huge backpack with B-Mobile in it (thanks Primos :thumb )
Anyways, back to the story. We totally got skunked today by a freakin jerk! And yes a jerk, we're laying under this cedar with B-Mobile and his lovely assistants do they're work just a few yards away from us and this huge tom is gobblin back at my calls, and he starts to make the move to the decoys. Just then we hear this loud noise, like wings cutting through the air, and i thought it was a plane flying over, but i looked and it was a dang eagle! It came flying right over our heads, and straight at the group of turkeys! I hurry and pulled up the binos and with every tom and jake gobblin like crazy and all the hens makin that weird putt noise as it came to grab one they started to run and flap wings and take off like mad, and the eagle takes off with one of the poor hens in its claws for supper.
So we got skunked by an Eagle, but i didnt mind since it was totally worth it to watch because i gurantee i will never see that again in my life!
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

ABert

Re: Skunked on the turkey hunt (gotta read this)

Post by ABert » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:26 pm

I've never heard of such a thing but if you are going to get skunked I can't think of a better way!
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:33 pm

I would have loved to see that. Better than what I went through. You can read about it on the other posts.
There's always next year

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:23 pm

VERY COOL, glad you got to witness that. WOW!!

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Post by JLROOT » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:43 am

If you have to be skunked that would be the way to do it. I would love to see something like that.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:44 am

I witnessed a bald eagle do the same thing on a group of jakes during deer season about three years ago. I will never forget it, wish I had video rolling. That Eagle tucked his wings and fell from the sky at those birds like a meteor.

Here was my story from 2007
Last fall I was sitting in a tree stand deer hunting at the edge of a hard wood forest overlooking a hay meadow watching 4 jake turkeys work their way across the meadow. About mid field the birds stopped raised their heads in a alert manner and took off on a dead run.

I was looking everywhere across the meadow looking for a coyote or bobcat and could see nothing and couldn't figure it out. Then something caught my eye from above. Wings retracted and tucked in in full dive like a rocket was a bald eagle bearing down on the birds. The eagle hit the middle of the flock and a frantic chorus of gobbles rang out as feathers flew like a pillow had exploded.

When the dust settled the eagle had missed his mark and the turkeys retreated under a hedge tree. The eagle landed about 40 yards away and kept those birds huddled under that tree for about 30 minutes before deciding the gig was up and flying off.

Man, I wish I had a video camara running.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:22 am

Camodup: let me know how that B-mobil works i been thinking of getting the prettyboy tom. I have a hen decoy i got 2 years ago but it is nothing like the pretty boy or b mobil. I went scouting last night (from the road of course) and had good luck seeing jakes and hens but no strutting toms. we have access to some private land by clarkston next month
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Yeah that B-Mobile works crazy good, where exactly are ya huntin by clarkston? We have access to some property right there just outside of newton and just before clarkston and holy crap theres turkeys everywhere but a few other guys have access also and they keep screwing everything up for all of us!
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:51 pm

i have access to some land by the short divide closed gate type but ood thing i gotta friend that ropes cause he said he would get us in [-o<
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.