More Turkey Hunts in Utah

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

More Turkey Hunts in Utah

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:35 pm

http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/09-07/more.php

Lets hear your thoughts guys/gals in Utah. I have a few thoughts after having a tag this year, but will save it after I hear yours. Good idea or bad?

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Re: More Turkey Hunts in Utah

Post by CodeRED » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:15 pm

Ive seen a lot of Turkeys out toward Vernon but no other places Ive been out. I thought the populations were too small to start giving out that many tags though...? I'd like to hunt them in here in UT but if the populations aren't big enough it would be stupid to give out all those tags and then have to manage the populations back. They want to start having 3 separate hunts too & OTC tags now. Not a good idea in my mind, we'd all be waiting more time again to draw out if everyone has a high success rate... How was it with your tag this year btw Brett?
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm all for it. A male turkey will only live 3-4 years in the wild, so hunting them OTC in May will have no/little effect on populations. 90+% of the hens are bred in April, so as long as the tags are limited during this time the populations will continue to flourish. Turkey populations are at/above objectives in most areas of the state. As more tags are issued success rates will decrease. The state in the past was issuing tags for a 60+% success rates, that is not needed/desired with the high number of birds running around today. I have drawn a Central Region tag 2 years in a row, it is a tough hunt, but it is HUNTING. When was the rules changed that says getting a tag should mean a better than 50% chance of filling the tag? Isn't it hunting not shooting? I helped release the very first turkeys here in Tooele County several years ago, the stated goal back then was OTC tags. It was never intended to be a LE high success rate tag. The tags have been LE so that the populations could get up to desired numbers in as short of time as possible, that is the ONLY reason tags have been LE in the past. As long as the early season tags are limited, the populations will be fine.
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Thanks for the info
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:35 am

I just learned more about turkeys in Utah from reading Pros post than I have learned about them my entire life! lol Great post pro thanks for all the info.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:38 pm

sneekeepete wrote:I just learned more about turkeys in Utah from reading Pros post than I have learned about them my entire life! lol Great post pro thanks for all the info.
+1