Lost first cam today

Dedicated to Trail Cam's
338ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Lost first cam today

Post by 338ultra » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:53 am

I had one stolen from me January of 2008 off of private property. I had it watching over a protein feeder and when I come back in February to see what all deer made it through the season, it was gone. $300 camera. I didn't have a lock on it, cause there was no one that should have been on the place. Ah well, you live and learn. I've got one now on another place that takes pictures of the traffic as it is coming down the main road. It's hidden, so if anyone gets a wild idea about stealing cameras now, they will have a mug shot before they get out the front gate. Thinking about putting a GPS transmitter on this one as well, in case they do find it, it will email me a picture of them before it leaves.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:05 am

I have come to the conclusion that the benefits of having a trail camera don't outway the cost when this happens. I've only ever owned one but when I lost a tree stand off of private property I quite leaving anything over night and what good is a camera that is there while I am... The Sad part is that no matter what this will always happen. along with theives stealing out of vehicles as well...
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

NVhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by NVhunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:39 am

JimmyB wrote:All these stories are makin me nervous to go buy my first trail cam! I found a trail cam last year that had come off the tree somehow so I grabbed some small rope out of my bag and secured it back to the tree! I just can't believe that a fellow outdoorsman would steal someones trail cam!
Too bad there aren't more people out there like you. And you shouldn't be nervous about buying a camera, if you find my earlier post on the trail cam forum "Moultrie Trail Cam Pics" and see the mountain lion picture, we had that camera set up under that bridge for about 3 months. We were checking it every Wednesday and Sunday, we actually got pictures of a guy and his wife coming through making a face at the camera and then just kept walking. It just sucks that people cant just walk on by.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!" - Bear Claw

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:42 pm

JimmyB wrote:All these stories are makin me nervous to go buy my first trail cam! I found a trail cam last year that had come off the tree somehow so I grabbed some small rope out of my bag and secured it back to the tree! I just can't believe that a fellow outdoorsman would steal someones trail cam!
That's the first one I've lost, and for the most part they will be OK. Just lock themn up and honest people will leave them alone lol
Also, find a place that most people will never go. And last of all, don't buy the expensive ones in case they do go AWOL.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 pm

This is biggest reason I don't see myself investing in a trail cam.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:21 am

if you leave it out in the woods you can count on it coming up missing. if it does not your lucky. there are enough people out there that will go to any length to get you stuff off the tree it does not matter what you do to lockit up. if there is a will there is a way. the fact that the cameras don't come up missing is just for the fact that the a hole has not seen it yet.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:25 pm

one hunting fool wrote:if you leave it out in the woods you can count on it coming up missing. if it does not your lucky. there are enough people out there that will go to any length to get you stuff off the tree it does not matter what you do to lockit up. if there is a will there is a way. the fact that the cameras don't come up missing is just for the fact that the a hole has not seen it yet.
Amen! Nuttin... that's blows man. Sorry to hear that. I felt like I'd been completely violated when my camera was stolen. Last year my camera was fine, but I hiked my A off getting it to my spot which most people would never do. I think if you get it WAY back in there and then secure the H out of it that you'll generally be fine. But the key is taking it to a place that the average and generally lazy hunter wouldn't go and can't access with wheels.
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Yep, Bowtech43. That's right. Burry it somewhere and nobody knows where it is but you.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

stewberd23
Spike
Spike

Post by stewberd23 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:59 pm

I've come across tree stands,trail cams, and blinds while hunting the last year or so and everytime i find em i say to myself if it was mine i wouldn't want anyone taking it so i leave it alone!
Do Work

SHANE(WA)
Spike
Spike

Post by SHANE(WA) » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:12 am

I find it funny that no one has mentioned "bear" ? i have had many cameras busted off trees by bears and a couple taken by bears