Cam Placement

Dedicated to Trail Cam's
M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Cam Placement

Post by M.Bird » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:17 pm

Not looking to upset anyone, just seeking an HONEST ANSWER, when you are putting out your trail cams this time of year are you enhancing the location? If you are enhancing what are you using?

Tree Killer
2 point
2 point

Re: Cam Placement

Post by Tree Killer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:45 pm

I put trace mineral block out in early spring. The deer and elk really crave it when the antlers are growing and the babies are nursing. You can buy fancier stuff from sporting goods stores, but the 50# blacks or 50# of trace minerals are cheap and can be found at most feed stores. It's actually legal in Oregon to hunt over licks, but check to make sure it's okay in your state before doing it.

The animals will stop in front of the trailcam for better pics, especially if your trailcam has a slower trigger speed.

Good luck and have fun!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

"if you rattle, they will come"

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:11 pm

I've experimented with some different stuff. I've used Buck Jam, Deercaine, and Deer Cocaine. The jam I poored on a log and the deer seemed to like it till it was gone. The Deercaine and other variants work, and you want to use it if you can, because it brings animals in that might not walk in front of your cam. AFter a while you know waht's in the area, and if you want to hunt there.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

sharpstick
Fawn
Fawn

Post by sharpstick » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:45 am

Go to the feed store and buy some cheap mineral salt in the bag or block. Both work well and both are fairly cheap to purchase. One mistake I made on my first attempt was putting the camera too close to the mineral lick. I got plenty of pictures but they were pictures of parts of the animal and not the whole animal. Also, make sure you secure the camera firmly to the tree and perhaps higher up so the animals can't rub or lick it off the tree. The elk seem to love to lick the camera lens. Have a great time and post the pictures you get on your camera. Good Luck.
Live simple so others can simply live