False triggers!!??

Dedicated to Trail Cam's
johnyutah5
2 point
2 point

False triggers!!??

Post by johnyutah5 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:56 pm

As far as direction(North, South, East, West) and setting (sunny hill side, shade, mix, in trees, etc..) where have you had the least amount of false triggers?

Setup a new trail cam a couple of weeks ago and when I checked it last night my memory Card was full. Half the images were of the hillside with no critters. My camera was (I moved it) facing north and sat in a small group of pines. Never had this problem with my other trail cameras. It was facing hill side where the half the hill was in the shadow and the other was in the sun and it would shift as the day went on. Any thoughts?

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Re: False triggers!!??

Post by CodeRED » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:21 pm

I dont have too much experience with them but if the cam is too close to where they're walking and it triggers while theyre right in front of it, wouldnt they be gone before the cam took the pic? Only thing I would suggest is to move the cam a little way back from the game trail.

My $.02 anyway..
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:31 am

Tom was your camera on a smaller tree? if you put a camera on a tree I like to put it more at the base of the tree than higher up. if the tree is blowing in the wind it will have fewer false triggers closer to the ground. less movement!

Also I cut the grass down around in the area I want to view so you don't have leaves blowing in the wind and triggering the camera

other than that I am still learning

Tree Killer
2 point
2 point

Post by Tree Killer » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:39 pm

I never get false triggers or empty pics. What kind of camera are you using? Is there grass or brush close to your camera that could set it off?
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

"if you rattle, they will come"

BONER
Spike
Spike

Post by BONER » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:04 pm

We checked my buddies cam the other day, walked up to it and saw 368 pictures! Sweet we thought. . . first three were good bulls, we were SO pumped!
Next 365 were all wind blowing a branch twenty feet away . . . . ugh that was a long time watching those all go by!
"GOD, GUNS, & GUTS made America - Lets keep all three!"

johnyutah5
2 point
2 point

Post by johnyutah5 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 am

Tree Killer wrote:I never get false triggers or empty pics. What kind of camera are you using? Is there grass or brush close to your camera that could set it off?
I am using a moultrie, D40 I think. Perhaps there was some brush or branch setting it off but after looking at the pics again I think it was the way I set the camera up. It was in the shadows of the trees pointing out onto a hillside that gets hit by the sun during the day. Could be wrong though.