New Trail Camera

Dedicated to Trail Cam's
justinthebowhunter
Spike
Spike

New Trail Camera

Post by justinthebowhunter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:56 pm

I just bought my first trail camera and I am wondering how long you guys leave these up before you switch the cards or check the pictures? Also, is there any tips you would suggest on how to set it up. I am placing it over a large wallow I found last year while elk hunting. I hoping to find out when they are coming in and from which direction since the area is tricky with wind. Setting it up this weekend so any help would be appreciated. :thumb

UTEXAN
Fawn
Fawn

Re: New Trail Camera

Post by UTEXAN » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Justin, I check my cameras every week but I'm a nut. First thing I do is set my cameras to multi shot mode. This allows you to capture multiple pictures of the same animal and sometimes you get multuple animals, especially if you have a delayed trigger speed. Also, if you only plan on checking your camera every other week or so i would get the largest card avaliable for your camera. Be sure to cut away any branches, weeds, grass, etc in front of the camera. This should keep you from a getting a lot of balnk pictures. You can also put out a salt lick in front of the camera. Have fun. Afetr you get your first pictures you will be hooked.

Tree Killer
2 point
2 point

Post by Tree Killer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:41 pm

I usually check my Tcams every 7 to 10 days.

There's been a rash of trailcam theft here in Oregon recently, so I'm going to start putting mine out of reach in a tree and angled down at the trail, wallow, or lick.

Before you put out a salt lick, make sure it's legal in Idaho. Seems like I read it wasn't?

Good luck, look forward to seeing your pics soon!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

"if you rattle, they will come"

justinthebowhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by justinthebowhunter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:38 am

Salt lick isn't legal to use in Idaho.