Mulies

Fishing, Sunsets, Outdoors, Birds, etc.
BOHNTR

Re: Mulies

Post by BOHNTR » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:01 am

Rarely do fibromas cause deer any problems but occasionally the location of a large single or multiple clumps of fibromas can interfere with sight, eating, breathing, or even affect the ability of the deer to walk. The attachment of the fibroma is limited to the skin and no evidence of it can normally be found in the muscle. Fibroma presence is typically indistinguishable after skinning the deer. No human infection from cutaneous fibromas has ever been reported or discovered. Most of the time it is safe to consume the meat of a deer as the tumors only involve the skin. The only concern one should have is when the deer has severe secondary bacterial infection within the warts. Occasionally the larger fibromas acquire a bacterial infection through a break in the skin, which would render the deer unsuitable for human consumption. Therefore, you should discard any carcass and contact the local F&G if the fibromas look like they have been injured or have a foul smell.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Utahbowhunter
Monster
Monster

Post by Utahbowhunter » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:17 am

Seen a doe the other day like that but it was just a little bubble.

rezstyle
Spike
Spike

Post by rezstyle » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:43 pm

BOHNTR wrote:It's called cutaneous fibromas, commonly called deer warts. Fibromas are benign tumors that are composed of fibrous or connective tissue and are tumors which involve the skin. They are caused by a virus specific to deer. The virus is thought to be transmitted by various biting insects. However, another possible means of transmission of the viral agent is direct contact through any assortment of contaminated objects, which may scratch or penetrate the skin of the deer.
dang BOHNTR, you go to deer wart college or what? Lol, thanks for the info though.

Ready
Spike
Spike

Post by Ready » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:23 am

I saw a buck on the Henries this summer that had BIG warts all over his head! He definitely couldn't see out of one eye and was having difficulty seeing out of the other. His body condition was pretty poor (ribs, hips, etc.). He sure looked like he was going to be coyote bait soon! I would think that if a wildlife officer had seen him, he would have put him out of his misery!

Sorry, I didn't get a pic of him!

MULIES4EVER
3 point
3 point

Post by MULIES4EVER » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:50 am

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

jdh
Spike
Spike

Post by jdh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:10 am

Thanks Roy for the info!!, I have seen more and more of these things on deer over the years, I have some pictures that I'll find and get posted this weekend sometime. Some are pretty gross.

jdh

jdh
Spike
Spike

Post by jdh » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:55 pm

Here are some more pics of those gross growth's
IMG_4232trm.JPG
IMG_1942trm.JPG
IMG_8571.JPG
IMG_7723.JPG
jdh

mattcoker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mattcoker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:01 pm

Another pic of that weird growth. This deer was up by Blanca Peak Colorado.
Attachments
weird growth
weird growth
June- August 2008 1067.jpg (79.16 KiB) Viewed 6894 times