Best Maps

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
WinMag
3 point
3 point

Best Maps

Post by WinMag » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:34 pm

Just wanting to get some opinions on what everyone considers to be the best map they have found and who makes them?

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Re: Best Maps

Post by Loafer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:40 pm

I like good ole BLM maps. They are pain to use sometimes but once you get them folded right their great and have all the info you need. The BLM maps are easy to read and cheap usually $4 at the BLM office, you can cut smaller sections out and laminate to make them water resistant.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:25 pm

+1

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:33 pm

7.5 minute topo maps are what i have been told to use by multiple "professional" hunters and i am going to try them this year. You can order them off line and even print them off...
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:33 pm

+1 on the 7.5 maps-- only way to go

V/R
M. Bird

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:37 am

I am looking for a good create your own mapping site to make one map instead of 4 USGS maps for the area I need. I've tried a couple but just not happy with the final product yet. Any suggestions?

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Sportsmans warehouse sells some National Geographic programs for your computer. You can transfer the maps over to your gps if compatibale, you can zoom in or out to a certain point and print them, they have alot of different options and seem pretty good i have only used one once so i didnt figure everything out but might be worth looking at. They are sold state by state and are around 30 dollars i think......
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:01 am

amp713 wrote:Sportsmans warehouse sells some National Geographic programs for your computer. You can transfer the maps over to your gps if compatibale, you can zoom in or out to a certain point and print them, they have alot of different options and seem pretty good i have only used one once so i didnt figure everything out but might be worth looking at. They are sold state by state and are around 30 dollars i think......

Your can print a map of a small area for about $10, it comes on water resistent paper.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Loafer wrote:
amp713 wrote:Sportsmans warehouse sells some National Geographic programs for your computer. You can transfer the maps over to your gps if compatibale, you can zoom in or out to a certain point and print them, they have alot of different options and seem pretty good i have only used one once so i didnt figure everything out but might be worth looking at. They are sold state by state and are around 30 dollars i think......

Your can print a map of a small area for about $10, it comes on water resistent paper.
REI also has the map machine and they make great maps, that are pretty tough.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Loafer wrote:

They closed our nearest Sportsmans Warehouse now the nearest one is over 4 hours away. :>/ I really liked that store. REI is about the same distance and another great store. Sounds like I might have a road trip in my near future. :thumb Thanks for the tips.