rangfinders?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
amp713
2 point
2 point

rangfinders?

Post by amp713 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:43 pm

so im planing on buying a new rangfinder that is capable of compensating for the angles i may be shooting with my bow. i found the bushnell scout 1000 ARC that seems like the better idea. it has a few modes, 5x magnification and a rifle or bow setting. there is also the nikon archers choice rangefinder that seems to be lacking in comparison. does anyone know of any others in that same price range (300ish)? has anyone used one or both of these??
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: rangfinders?

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:26 am

I am doing the same thing. I have been to the shop here and used both of them. What i found is that they are very comparable. I decided on the Bushnell just to save the extra $50 bucks. That was the only deciding factor for me. I will let you know how it works out for me. So far it has been working great. I have ranged target out to 600 yards and used the bow setting from the tree stand and it seems to be right on. Anywho good luck in your search.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

huntindad
Spike
Spike

Post by huntindad » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:35 am

I have the new Leupold and have ranged objects out to 750 yards or so it works great and was about $380 in Cabelas.

Bill

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:04 am

huntindad wrote:I have the new Leupold and have ranged objects out to 750 yards or so it works great and was about $380 in Cabelas.

Bill
+1 on the Leupold. I know it's slightly more pricey, closer to $400, but my TBR 1000 is awesome. I had the guy behind the Cabelas counter bring out a Nikon, bushnell, and the Leupold to the parking lot. The ranging ability and clarity of the Leupold was far superior than the other models. The TBR modes offer several arrow weight/bullet wieght options to give you an acurate yardage compensation.

On a side note this being my first range finder, any range finder would have helped a few times in the past on archery hunts and at least once on a muzzy hunt. Good luck with your decision.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:31 pm

ok on the luepold have you tried the archery setting much yet??? someone told me that it always only gave a 2-3 yd adjustment and that it was off more than a few times....
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Sorry Amp I haven't tried the archery setting yet. I bought it more for muzzy and rifle use.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

huntindad
Spike
Spike

Post by huntindad » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:19 am

I have played with the bow settings a bit and it is consistent and seems accurate. I will say I noticed it doesn't change much from actual straight line range until it is REALLY!!! steep but I don't think it is any different than the nikon or bushnell in this respect as I believe all use the same technology to achieve the purpose. Hope that helps!

Bill

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:10 pm

I've got the ARC1000 and really like it. Easy to adjust settings, light weight and super accurate. I haven't had it out in bad weather yet so don't know about the durability in rain and snow. I really like that you can switch from "target mode" to "brush mode" with the touch of a button.

In target mode it will range the first thing targeted. In brush mode it will look past the fuzz of branches and such to range a solid oblect on the other side.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Tue May 11, 2010 5:44 pm

I was kind of sold on the Nikon, but now I'm thinking I may have to go back and look them all over again. :-k It'll give me something to do while I wait to see if I draw any tags this year. ](*,) [-o<

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Sun May 23, 2010 7:33 am

Not to add more confusion,
I have had the Leupold and now have the Nikon. Some would say I i took a step back. For me the Leupold had to many bells and whistles and was way to finicky. Way to many modes for my simple mind to deal with. I ended up with the rifle hunter version of the Nikon and I am a bow hunter. It works every time , and it is very simple and accurate.

Some food for thought.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13