Pack tents

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Pack tents

Post by maintguy47 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:38 pm

I can't find a pack tent that isn't open topped with a rain fly. I'm looking for a one peice tent I can sleep in , in a snow storm at about 8500ft. 7lbs max. Any suggestions or should I keep dreaming? If anybody says cabelos or basspor I'll juump off my roof.

camodup
3 point
3 point

Re: Pack tents

Post by camodup » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:37 pm

I have the same problem. So ive been thinking about makin my own haha call me crazy but i like the idea.
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:17 pm

Nope. I'm gonna hunt this moutian range that runs about 35miles from north to south. Lots of draineges dropping from 11,000 to 7,500ft on the east and west sides into valleys. I'm thinking about going up in aug and building me a small cabin about every 10 miles on top and marking em on my gps. Along with a few blowdowns in case I get in trouble whitch can happen in DEC. My wife says I'm crazy .

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:39 pm

whether this helps or not i dont know but i read about a tent that the eastmans used on a backcountry trip and they say it is one of the toughest tents around. I cant find the article so i dont remember all the specs, but i had wrote the name down hoping to check it out one day. it is called the hilleberg allak. it was pricy but it might be right for you.
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:54 pm

why do you want it in one piece?

you can get an awsome tent, at a burn of alot less than 7 lbs.
the reason they usually have the open tent, with the rain fly, is condensation. the weather one the outside , never comes into contact with the inside.

really, i guess just to give an answer to your question, you can go to walmart and find a cheap dome tent that will be less than 7 lbs, and not be a "rain fly style" tent. but what your trying to get away from is one of the more important parts of a great tent.

also, hillenburg is supposed to be the best tents a guy can buy. but man they are proud of them $$$

i'll keep my little marmot ESO1, been backpacking for yrs with it, weighs under 3.5 lbs, hasn't ever even thought about leaking, super roomy, it works great for me

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:55 pm

oh sorry , i forgot to add- that "rainfly" usually is what makes part of a "vestabule" which is almost as important as the tent.

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:17 pm

Actually been to wallmart and all of their dome tents have rain flys. Whoda thunk it. And I say each to his on atrebutets. When the temp doesn't get above 20 the condensation freezes to the top of the inside of your tent. When you wake up all you got to do is break of a few pieces,throw it in your jetboil pot add a little instant oat meal and coffee and yougot breakfeast in in bed at 1o,ooo ft. Hince solid tent.

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:20 pm

But serious, I was looking at the marmot and they look pretty good. Thanks for the help.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:27 pm

well if your using a jet boil, your screwed anyway( on trying to be light) so you might as well look into a light weight wall tent :thumb

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:09 pm

My jetboil and three canisters enough to cook brkfst n dinner 4 nights 5 days and coffee ( or tea if your that way) in between.2lbs2oz. It'll boil 160z water in 90seconds above 10,000 ft in a 20 knot wind, hidding behind a rock or tree of coarse.If in the woods or on the water I've never been screwed. At my age its just different levels of comfort. My current packtent wieghs 1lb7oz. The sides only come up 2" before it turns into meshnetting and even after calling thier techline to make sure I put the rain fly on right when
i was 12,000ft up in the rockies hunting elk last sept it didn't keep enough wind and snow out.I'm looking for something whre the sides come up at least a foot. I know picking the right spot to set up is very important but sometimes I tend to push dayligt a liitle far.And I'd rather hunt naked than leave my Jetboil behind so if you see an old naked fart running threw the mountians don't shoot, he's just looking for his jetboil and couldn't pick out the right tent.