spotting scope on more of a budget than the last post, lol.

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
steve8410
Spike
Spike

spotting scope on more of a budget than the last post, lol.

Post by steve8410 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:46 pm

i just bought a brand new house and the fence, sprinkler system, rv pad, and grass is costing me a fortune....i cant justify spending alot of money right now, but i dont own a spotting scope

are there any sub $100 worth even considering? if not im going to try to have to borrow a friends which i hate to do, but if i must i will.

thanks

9er
Monster
Monster

Re: spotting scope on more of a budget than the last post, l

Post by 9er » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:29 pm

save your money!!! sell off something, work a few extra hours overtime. Do whatever it takes to get at the least a Vortex Nomad. If possible save up and go for the skyline or one of the big three

good luck, what hunt you have planned?
Watch your top knot!

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:55 am

Ill give you the same advice as 9er, SAVE YOUR MONEY... If you by a sub-par spotter, you are just wasting your money. Look on ebay and classifieds ads such as ksl.com if you are located in Utah. You can sometimes find used Vortex Skylines on there in the $300-$400 range.. A spotter that is not good quality is basically worthless in my opinion.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:52 am

Add another +1 for me. Cheap optics simply cannot be an option for the big game hunter. I was recently on vacation at a resort that had spotting scopes that you could check out for wildlife viewing. They were BSA brand and I'm sure they were under $100. To put it nicely these things are not worth $1.00 for looking at animals. You'll be better off hunting with the eyes that God gave you than punishing them by straining through sub-par optics.----------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

WI Canner
Fawn
Fawn

Post by WI Canner » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:00 am

Depending upon how portable of a scope you are looking for, it's hard to beat the Celestron C series for most bang for the buck. These can be had on ebay new or used. (Read under $100 used sometimes for some very high quality, older glass.) They are basically a cross between a spotting scope and a telescope using the Maksutov-Cassegrain Optical Design. They are capable of some extreme long distance viewing, with various, easily replaceable eye pieces. The C65 series weighs about 3-4 lbs. Basically, you can see the hairs on a knats azz with these at distance. I use it out of the truck, on the shooting bench, or set up at the house watching my fields. The telescope style tripods allow for micro adjustments while viewing, which also helps at great distance. Also, camera adapters are available. Search Celestron C90 or C65. And do a little research on the Maksutov Cassegrain design, which results in a more compact scope. Doesn't cost you to look. Good luck in your search.
If you can't visualize something first, you'll never achieve it without dumb luck.

dubvee
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dubvee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:37 pm

ALPEN off ebay!! decent glass that is def better then nothing...then save those pennies for the real good stuff..

creepingdeath
Fawn
Fawn

Post by creepingdeath » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:38 am

+1 on the Alpen stuff..

Really on a budget check out this little guy!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/alpen-20x50 ... e-711.html

Everyone of my pards that have looked through mine are amazed. Perfect for trips to the range(300-400) 0r less and maybe more. Loved it in my day pack this year! Actually if funds are tight come this fall It will make the trip into the North Cascades..

Believe its 10oz. Sunshade, fog proof,waterproof. I suggest unless you've actually looked through one of theses you best not comment, as you'd be dead wrong.

Or go with the Alpen in the 18x36x60 or the 15x45x60.. They will surprise the heck outta you and your friends.. And can be had for $150 or less. I would not steer you wrong. Actually as good or better than anything you could grab under $5-600+..
"Thou shalt hunt where there are Trophy Mule Deer or forever be plagued by mediocrity".

LCMCREV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by LCMCREV » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks for link, Creepingdeath. Will check these out. Not everyone can purchase the expensive scopes even when they save.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson