Leupold vs. Zeiss Riflescope?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Leupold vs. Zeiss Riflescope?

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:32 pm

So I'm in the market for a new scope for my .270WSM. I had a Leuplold VXII 3-9x50 on it but took it off and put it on my muzzleloader last season...and now I think it's going to stay there (for hunts that allow a scope anyway). Since my .270WSM is my go-to gun at the moment for mulies & elk, I want to put some quality optics on top of it.

I'm considering the Leupold VX3 4-12x40 or the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44. I went and compared the two at Bass Pro Shops today and couldn't tell a whole lot of difference (outside of eye relief) in the store (they really need to set up the optics booths outside). So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have any field experience comparing these two scopes?
2. Is the VX3 optically better than the VX2?
3. I'm going to put a turret system on whichever one I end up with, so does anyone have any comments on the Leupold CDS turrets or the Zeiss hunting turrets?
4. Is the Zeiss significantly brighter than the Leupold at twighlight?
5. Is the Zeiss worth the extra $150?

I believe every rifle me and my dad own is topped with a Leupold scope. I think all but one are VX2's. I think they are good optics, but I don't know if I'd consider them 'great'. I made the switch from Leupold binos to Swaro binos about 5 years ago and am amazed at the difference. I'm just wondering if the switch from the VX2 to the VX3 or from Leupold to Zeiss scopes will be a similar effect. Any help or comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

needs_recoil
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Leupold vs. Zeiss Riflescope?

Post by needs_recoil » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:01 pm

I know this is an old post but since nobody replied I'll tell you what I think. I absolutely love my vx3 4.5x14 lr scope. It has a 30 mm tube for more adjustment for your turret system. Unreal clarity. Also if you figure out your fps on your load with bc of the bullet and I think you need average temp that you hunt along with average elevation, you can oreder that scope from leupold with a custom turret setup. And if you ever get a different load or drastically change elevations just order another turret cap from them (60 bucks i think), and they will send you another one marked for that load or elevation.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:07 am

+1 I never responded to this post either, but there is no comparison in my book. I believe that the leupold VX3 glass is superior to the conquest glass which is a lower grade from Zeiss. Personally, I think that you are paying for a VX2 quality scope at best with a fancy German name. This is confirmed in the target world where I have never seen any of these scopes on a rifle. I've seen Zeiss and Swarovski spotting scopes, but never rifle scopes. The main benefit of the Leupold is their customer service. They don't claim it, but I think they treat the VX3 owners even better. I dropped my rifle one year 2 weeks before season and bent the scope tube on my VX3 4.5-14. I called Leupold in a panic and they got the serial # of my scope and told me to send it to them as quickly as possible. I sent it the next day and to my suprise, I got a brand new Leupold scope in the mail less than a week later. How can you beat service like that? The bottom line with Leupold is that their glass is as good as you will ever need for aiming a rifle and their scopes are the toughest, best functioning in the world.-------------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:17 am

Thanks for the replies guys! That definitely helps me make my decision. I had pretty much talked myself into getting the VX3 already....planning on going to Cabela's next weekend so I can activate the cash card I got in the mail the other day....just a little additional incentive. I'm buying the CDS model (4.5-14x40), but I'm going to send it in right after I buy it and have them switch out the reticle on it. Personally, I like the fine duplex and that's not an option on the VX3 CDS models. I'll try to remember to post my thoughts on the setup once I test it out. Thanks again for the replies!

grenda
Fawn
Fawn

Post by grenda » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:53 am

I have always use leupold and have never had any problems. My dad owns the 6.5-20x40mm with the fine reticle. when hunting in low light conditions and at distant ranges it can be extremely difficult seeing your crosshairs. Especially when shootin at dark haired animals such as bears and moose. Just food for thought. But I would for sure go with the Leupold. I have 4.5-14x40mm and love it. Tough as nails and always on target every year after constant abuse.
-Big Buck Down!-