Vortex Skyline standard vs ED

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
barebackjack
Fawn
Fawn

Vortex Skyline standard vs ED

Post by barebackjack » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Im looking at picking up the Vortex Skyline spotter. Does anybody have experience with both the standard and ED versions?

Is the ED model of the Skyline worth the extra $200?

Thanks much for any help.

jarheadhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Vortex Skyline standard vs ED

Post by jarheadhunter » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:58 pm

I don't have personal experience with the Vortex but, I am pretty sure the ED/HD glass in scopes does the same thing. If you are going to or might someday take pictures through the scope I would say the extra $$ is worth it. If not then I would say you probably wont notice a difference looking between the two.
jarhead

I'd rather be hunting!

jayb22
Spike
Spike

Re: Vortex Skyline standard vs ED

Post by jayb22 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:55 pm

I was talking to a guy today about the Vortex optics and according to him and a Vortex rep, the ED glass gives approx. 10% more clarity than the standard glass. I couldn't tell you how noticeable that 10% is or if it would be worth it or not. I did however just buy the Vortex Skyline ED spotting scope and am waiting for it to come in the mail. I can give you as good of a review as I can once I get it. I bought mine off of camofire.com for under $400. If I didn't get that good of a deal on it I don't think I would have spend the extra money for the ED glass. Although with the warranty that Vortex offers I don't think you can go wrong with spending good money on their optics. They will cover any damage no matter what caused it or how old the optics are. You can burn them, crush them or drop them off a mountain and they are covered. You also don't have to fill out any paperwork or provide any proof of purchase, just send it in and they will send it back to you fixed. The warranty is what sold me.