One Eyed Optics Question

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
schwatk
Fawn
Fawn

One Eyed Optics Question

Post by schwatk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:26 am

I'm new to bowhunting and I'm researching optic options (binoculars, monoculars, spotting scopes and range finders). I'm blind in my right eye. I can't see paying the high prices for top of the line binoculars when I will only be using half of it. What would you do for optics if you only had one eye? I live in Alpine so I'll mainly be hunting the San Diego, CA. backcountry. I also hope to hunt the Sierras too. I'm interested in deer, pig and turkey bowhunting.

Thank you for any and all help!

Please feel free to email me at

joe.schwatka@navy.mil

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Re: One Eyed Optics Question

Post by maintguy47 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:06 pm

I use a Leupold RXII for most of my staulking (range finder) I can pick out antlers and furry critters out to about 200yrds thru heavy timber. If I'm gonna sit for awhile and try and spot sometihng before I go after it I use a pair of Nikon 10x50 nockulars. I don't hunt much open country so I've never invested in a spotting scope. I mostly bow hunt and my primary style is to keep my face in the wind and catch there movement before they catch mine. Hope this helps a little.

CaHntr
Spike
Spike

Re: One Eyed Optics Question

Post by CaHntr » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:09 pm

I recently purchased the Zeiss Victory LRF. I must say I am very impressed with it. It is 8x42 and a monocular. Will work great for archery as it rangers at less than 10yrds. I got it to range out to 1500yrds and ranged two men at over 900yrd. If you are looking for just archery and most of your hunting is in San Diego then you shouldn't need something ranging more than 100yrds. When I am archery (San Diego turkey/deer) hunting I use my Nikon Archers Choice Laser Rangefinder.