Nikon Prostaff vs. Monarch vs. Leupold?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
yemtig
Fawn
Fawn

Nikon Prostaff vs. Monarch vs. Leupold?

Post by yemtig » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Wanted some opinions from those that have used/currently use one of these scopes... Planning on mounting it to my Rem 700-CDL .30-06 rifle... I have been looking at these 2 from Nikon and also the Leupold XV-III scopes with 3-9x/40mm.. Really am intrigued with the BDC reticule for both and the B&C reticule with Leupold... Seems with the Nikon software that allows you to customize your reticule to your load better... Planning on using it this year in the mountains for elk or deer... Anyone have field use with the bdc on their scopes and how simple it makes it for those longer shots? Keep in mind that I am an ethical hunter who wants to shoot 'em dead and not have them run off injured only to die a death to the wolves/bears.. Seems like it would make the shots from 300-400 yards possible... Just looking for insight... Thanks

Whitehorse
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Nikon Prostaff vs. Monarch vs. Leupold?

Post by Whitehorse » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Go with the Nikon Monarch....I have that scope on my T/C Icon with the BDC Reticle....awesome is all I can say.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:08 pm

I like Nikon scopes and have several, I would however stick to the Monarch series if goign the Nikon route.
Check out www.elkhuntersports.com my buddy Mark will give you a great deal on scopes.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:39 pm

I don't have any experience with the Leuopold scopes, but they are definitely a name that has a great reputation. I have a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 X 42 with the BDC on my Browning X Bolt 25-06. The scope is awesome! Nikon's spot on app really makes the BDC reticle an awesome resource to have in the field. I would also say to either stick with the Monarch line or look at the Buckmasters Series. I just picked up a 3-9 X 40 with BDC. As you can tell, I'm a little biased haha. The Prostaff isn't bad, basically the same glass as the Buckmasters, but the windage/elevation needs a screwdriver or coin in order to adjust. Both the Monarch and Buckmasters can be adjusted with your fingers. Sorry to make it so long! I think you have your eyes on some quality optics.

ColumbiaBasinMDF
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ColumbiaBasinMDF » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 am

Check out the Redfield scopes for the price they are absolutely amazing! You get a high quality scope that competes with any Nikon or Leopold. 10sign:

Shags1
Spike
Spike

Post by Shags1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Here is my .02. I just got the Nikon BDC for my Swift and so far haven't had to use the circles out past 300 yards. What I can say is, the shots I have taken with it, have been crisp sights, fast on target, and consistently accurate. I can't wait until a Prairie dog or coyote gives me the opportunity to fling a bullet at it out past the first circle to give it a try. :thumb I watched a friend sight his in (same scope on a .22-250) and he was consistently hitting the plates at 300,400, 500 yards. That is what impressed me to get one on the Swift.

As for a Leupold, I have a VX-3 3X9-40 on my .270. I had some serious issues with keeping it zeroed. I don't know if it was all the scope or if the rifle, or ammo, was the blame. I bought a Rem. CDL SF for a large game rifle, and for it's supposed accuracy out of the box, and after the first cow hunt I went on, I felt cheated. I just about left that POS in a snow drift on the mountain. After the hunt, I tore the gun down and reset the guts in the stock, floated the barrel, and a few other accurizing tricks I could think of, and finally got it to shoot half decent. Last year I drew a good deer tag and wanted to try the .270 (and it's ability to shoot flat at range), so I asked some friends in Wyoming for a hand load recipe, figuring they know how to shoot long range in the wind. Worked up the loads and shot the crap out of it, until I had some confidence in it again. Took a nice buck at 300 yards, hit it 3" high, which is where I was aiming, thinking I would have some bullet drop. NOPE. The crosshairs on the Leupold was nice on the big bodied buck, where I think the circles might be too big, to be hair splitting accurate. Don't know that for sure, but the coyote I shot at 300, the circle was most of it's body.

So, after all that, it's going to come down to one thing. Do you want to play the guess the amount of holdover game (which hunters have done successfully for years) or get the BDC and have the yardages mapped out for you already? Point and shoot.

A friend of mine runs a sporting goods department here and sells Vortex. He has one of the rangefinding scopes on his .223 and I've shot it, I was impressed. Especially when you get the MOA adjustments figured out like he has. Shooting prairie dogs at 700 yards is a good time. lol Check them out if you haven't already. Good glass, decent pricing, and the best warranty in the business. Just my opinion.

Hope that helps and wasn't TMI. zzz zzz zzz

Shags1
Spike
Spike

Post by Shags1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:39 pm

lol Just realized the original post is a year old!!

What did you buy? :))

donut slayer
Fawn
Fawn

Post by donut slayer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Go with a Nikon Monarch, you wont regret it. I have 2.