Which Rangefinder??

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Which Rangefinder??

Post by JimmyB » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Looking at finally getting a rangefinder but not sure which Brand/Model to get. I've always heard good things about Nikon and Leupold rangefinders (for the $$) but after reading some reviews on Cabelas website I'm just lost and confused now! Any of you have a rangefinder you just absolutely love or can suggest one to get? $400 is about the most I want to spend but I can go a little more if there's one that is an absolute must have.

I bow and rifle hunt but mainly rifle. I've read up on some of the rangefinders and say for example the LEUPOLD RX-1000I TBR the maximum range is 1000 yards off something reflective, 700 yards to a tree and 600 yards to a deer/elk. Are all rangefinders going to be like this? The longest shot at an elk/deer I'd take under ideal conditions is 400 yards max, but it would be nice to range things out past that. Is the True Ballistic Range and Inclinometer worth the extra money? I also golf a lot so if there's one that would work great for hunting and golf.... I'm sold!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

- Jimmy
Shooter McGavin

stewberd23
Spike
Spike

Re: Which Rangefinder??

Post by stewberd23 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:53 am

I was in this situation last year and i finally came to the conclusion to get the Bushnell Scout yardage pro 1000 and its been great to me i bow hunt and rifle hunt and it works great for bow hunting cause it has the TBR thing except Bushnell calls it like ARC but they are the same, and for rifle hunting its good, also it has a couple different setting where you can set it specifically to your rifle and it will tell you how much to hold over it. plus it ranges to 1000 yards reflective and 700 or so off a tree and a deer and like 600 or something. and its only 300 buck a roo's so its a pretty good deal! Just my input
Do Work

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:24 am

I've got an older Leica 900. Works great, I can occasionally get reading at over 1,000 yards. The only time I've ever had problems getting a good reading is in foggy conditions. Other than that I can consistently get out over 900 yards off of just about any object. There's one on KSL for a decent price.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... e%20finder

macavity
Fawn
Fawn

Post by macavity » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:49 pm

I bought a Leupold RX1000 TBR on Ebay for $290 a couple of years ago. It's really useful for getting the exact range on fixed landmarks when you are glassing and very quick for setting up for shots. Keep your eyes open on e-bay for some great deals. Mine was used, but in perfect condition. NO regrets.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:11 pm

I have a Nikon 550 that I'm still trying to get used to. I wish I could've gotten one with a little more distance (it was a gift so I have to be grateful!) but it works for my needs. I was just using it yesterday and we were shooting steel targets out to 385 yds. It took a few tries to get readings, but that could've been due to my shaky hands. Maybe I'll upgrade later when funds allow, but for now, these definitely serve me well.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Get down to the store and look though them, see what one you like the feel of and which one looks the clearest to you.

Don't get caught up in the bigger is better! it's a nice think to be able to range a item at 800yds, but can you see the deer at 800 yds?

This is an aid to help you, don't become dependent on them, learn how to guest yardage, you will not always have time to dig in your vest pull out the range finder, range the animal, put everything away and them find the animal in your scope.

Have a good day

M. Bird

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:19 pm

I bought a Leupold RX-600 a couple years back and love it. I got it for $150 in Cabela's Bargain Cave. I can point it at anything inside 600 yards and get a yardage... dirt, rocks, deer, trees... doesn't matter. It's simple to use & doesn't have the true ballistics range stuff. I tried a buddy's RX-750 TBR side-by-side to my RX-600 and got 1 yardage reading back on the 750 for every 10 on my 600. Needless to say, I'm not sold on the TBR stuff.
I agree with M.Bird completely. It's a great tool... but don't let it become a crutch. I've squandered an opportunity or two because I ranged when I should have shot.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:08 pm

Update: I was out scouting last week and my Nikon 550 worked great out in the field. Maybe the steel wasn't reflective enough when I used them last time (they were coated in white paint so shots would be visible). The first group of deer I was easily able to range them at 362 yards. What's better though, is that I am getting better at estimating ranges as I've been practicing. A rangefinder is a great tool, especially if used to range objects around you that can be used as reference points once an animal steps into the area.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:55 pm

I really like my Leupold TBR-1000. I bought in preparation for last years elk hunt. I wanted to be confident with my 30.06 out to 500 yards. I used the range finder when siting the gun in and found it to be accurate at known yardages out to 600 yards. There is a home out across some fields out my back door. When I range the white garage door, i get 1243 yards. On my hunt I first ranged the elk I ended up shooting at 652 yards. I worked in closer. I ranged the elk a second time at 307 yards when I shot him. The range finder worked great. Before buying it I went to Cabelas and asked the guy at the optics counter if we could take my top three choices outside and range some distant objects. I found the the leupold had much better optics than the bushnell and nikon. It was more clear and crisp. The Nikon was darker. I also like the red display. It shows up better in the evening and early morning prime hours. I've been real satisfied with the TBR-1000.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."