2 way radio license??

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.

If you use a GMRS radio, do you have a license

YES
No votes
NO
100%

Total votes: 6

tking
Fawn
Fawn

2 way radio license??

Post by tking » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:50 am

OK, I'm planning a mule deer hunt for next fall and I'm looking at 2 way radios on the Cabelas website. There is a disclaimer that says you must obtain a license from the FCC before using the radio. I check the FCC website and from what I can make of it, you have to pay $85 for a 5 year license. Someone please tell me I missed something. How many of you out there actually have a license with the FCC? ](*,)

a_bow_nut

Re: 2 way radio license??

Post by a_bow_nut » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:07 am

The first thing that yo0u need to know is what the wattage you can go up to before you have to have a license to use those radios. As long as the radios that you buy are under that wattage then you will not have to buy the license.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:37 am

Never heard of a license, CRAZY! (@@)

tking
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tking » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:31 am

I actually read last night that there are somewhere between 20-50 million of these radios out there and only 80k licenses have been issued.

basingater
2 point
2 point

Post by basingater » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:24 pm

never heard of having to have a lic.

tking
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tking » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:51 pm

I've actually been doing some research on the subject, here's what I've found out. The FRS/GMRS radios that almost everyone is marketing are what I'm looking at. The FRS (Family Radio Service) channels can be used WITHOUT a license. Unfortunately the channels for GMRS (General Mobile Radio Services) are the frequencies that have the long distance capabilities. FRS is usually limited to about a mile, GMRS (depending on conditions) are the frequencies that theoretically go much further. I found a website, http://www.GMRS.net.tc that has a forum. One of their forums is "GMRS ENFORCEMENT" where they post approximate locations of "unlicensed users" and piracy of GMRS frequencies. I understand the need to be a "law abiding citizen" but I'm not sure what good it would do to pay the FCC $85 so I can be among the eighty thousand licensed users who are mad about the tens of millions of unlicensed users using the same frequencies. For those of you that think I'm crazy, look in the owners manual/paper work that came with your radios and you'll find the info and probably an application for this license.

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:53 pm

I don't use the GMRS radios nor do any of my hunting buddies. This question can't be answered by us the readers, you have to go with your gut feeling and live with the decision. The Law is quite clear, and I would not want to be looking over my shoulder wondering???? (???)
Good Luck.
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:55 pm

We always set up on FRS channels and have had no problems while hunting in the mountains at distances up to 3 miles. Most of the time we are never more than 2 miles apart at best. When I say no problems I mean we are always able to make contact but do have to play around or repeat ourselves to get our messages through.

I would have no problem moving to a GRMS in the case of an emergency.

tking
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tking » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:30 pm

Southwind, thanks for the reply. I don't own any radios and was wondering if it was worth getting them because, everything I've read says that the FRS channels aren't that good. It's good to know that you get that kind of distance from yours. What kind do you have? I agree that I'd use it in case of emergency. I think there are a lot of people out there that don't even know they aren't suppose to use the GMRS channels without a license.

sagebrush
Spike
Spike

Post by sagebrush » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:57 am

a_bow_nut wrote:The first thing that yo0u need to know is what the wattage you can go up to before you have to have a license to use those radios. As long as the radios that you buy are under that wattage then you will not have to buy the license.

OH BULL DOOKEY.... IT HAS NOTHIN TO DO WITH POWER...

WHEN YOU USE FRS RADIOS.. NO LISC REQUIRED.. ( SMALL DINKY COBRA OR MOTOROLA TYPES )

WHEN YOU USE GMRS THEN YOU HAVE TO PAY THE LISC FEE... ( BIGGER COBRA AND MOTOROLA TYPES)

WHEN YOU USE A BUSUNESS CLASS RADIO ( AS DEFINED BY THE FCC AS BEING A COMMERCIAL BAND RADIO) YOU MUST HAVE A STATION LISCENCE.... WHICH YOU ..PAY FOR...

WHEN YOU USE A HAM RADIO, YES YOU MUST HAVE THE LISC... YOU MUST TAKE AND PASS A TEST..AND PAY THE FEE...

WHEN YOU USE MARINE HANDHELD RADIOS... NO LISC REQUIRED....

TIN CAN AND STRING RADIOS.... NO LISC REQUIRED...