Burris spotting scope

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
GnM
Fawn
Fawn

Burris spotting scope

Post by GnM » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:30 pm

I am looking for a quality spotting scope that will not break the bank and am leaning towards a Burris. Anybody out there have any likes/dislikes about Burris spotting scopes? Any other spotting scopes one would recommend?

Thanks,
GnM

AJ
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Burris spotting scope

Post by AJ » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:25 am

Quality, spotter, does not break the bank, do not belong in the same sentence. I looked at a lot of spotters below $500 and they all had issues. I did get a Cabelas Big Sky Spotter that was ok. When I moved to the west, I bit the bullet and bought a Zeiss spotter. WOW, there is a big difference in quality between the cheapos and the good scopes.

I would recommend getting a very cheap one to get you through until you can afford a good one. If yo uplan on glassing for game, the cheapo unit will cause eye strain and make the time spent glassing not fun. A good spotter will not strain your eyes, be much crisper and clearer, and make the time more enjoyable.

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:53 am

I will second that; the cheapies are not worth jack. The nice thing is that with Cabela's you can buy what you can afford now and upgrade it later for full credit on what you buy now. I have a friend who bought swaros and uses them even for shed hunting; they are that good. I think something like the Big Sky is a pretty good option; to bad Cabela's does not have something by Meopta like they have in binos; the Euros those seem to be a great value at half the price of the swaros, Zeiss and Leica. The HD kit gets pretty good reviews by customers at 4.7/5 Cabelas link for Big Sky HD
I have to decide between getting something like this and a new pistol; the spotter would certainly provide a better chance of something on the wall. :-k
BTW the Burris also has customer reviews on Cabela's site at 4.3/5 Burris link I do not have any personal experience with them.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:16 pm

Buriss is an ok spotter for the money check out the Vortex line too.

I would recomend buying the best spotting you can AFFORD.

I have a Swarovski and used to have a Leupold gold ring 12-40x60 I think it was $800 new and it was just fine I sold it to finace a hunting trip and went a while without a spotter.

Get what you can afford but look at lots of scopes in your price range first and pick the one you like the best.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK