bi-pod or tri-pod

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
rygray486
Fawn
Fawn

bi-pod or tri-pod

Post by rygray486 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:25 am

I'll be going on an elk hunt in Utah this fall (5 weeks from now!!) I would like to buy some shooting sticks. Is a bi-pod or a tri-pod recomended? What brands and models are good/bad?

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Re: bi-pod or tri-pod

Post by tommycaller » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:53 pm

I use both. I have a harris bi-pod and the stoney point tripod with the rear rest on there. I have made kill shots out to 588 yards with the stoney point rest and quite a few long shots (over 400) with the harris rest. The harris rest is bulky so I carry it in the pack until I get to my glassing spot. I put it on after I locate an animal. If the grass is too high, I use the stoney point. I also have a snipe pod that I would consider selling. It's a great rest, but I personally like the harris rest better. I have the longest one with the swivel head for uneven terrain. I hope this helps. TommyCaller

P.S. I also use a little bighorn turkey vest with the back support and the shoulder rifle butt rest if I,m not going too far in. It's a little heavy but it is the best seat in the house for a long sit and the bipod rest works great with the vest for long and super steady shots while sitting. The vest really works well if you have a bad back. Good Luck!!!
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:06 am

Personally I like the mossback shooting stix... They are lightweight and do a very good job for their weight.. There is a cabelas tripod that acts as a bipod till you fold the 3rd leg down. It is a bit heavier but is as sturdy as they come.. look into those if you are interested..

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks guys. I'm going to pickup a bi or tripod this summer and this info will help.

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Post by treedagain » Mon May 18, 2009 1:25 pm

harris bi-pod for my, I have had a couple near failures with it when it collapsed just about when I was going to squeeze off a shot....

cowslayer
Spike
Spike

Post by cowslayer » Mon May 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Snipepod!!! Buy one and never look back! They are versatile and worth every penny. I LOVE
THEM!!!

CS
http://www.VIPoptics.com
"When you deserve the Very Best!"