spotting scope

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
huntwithme2
Fawn
Fawn

spotting scope

Post by huntwithme2 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:38 am

has anybody used the leupold gold ring compact 15-30 or the bushnell excursion 15-45 for long distance classing. how due they compare as far as brightness and clarity. how about the cabelas 20x binoculers. can't decide which one to get.

BigBoneZ
Spike
Spike

Re: spotting scope

Post by BigBoneZ » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:57 pm

What ya plan'n to do with, and spend on them? Is bulk or weight an issuse?

huntwithme2
Fawn
Fawn

Post by huntwithme2 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:30 pm

my main reason for buying one is for scouting pryer and during season. my price range is in the four to five houndred. there are a lot of spotting scopes in that price range. i've read a lot of people talking about a lot of different ones . most talk about seeing bullet holes and not wildlife. most of my time would be glassing wildlife at say one to two thousand yards. does any of the above scopes show good glassing. are they clear or are the somewhat foggy around the edges? what one would you recommend. i just moved here to n.m. and this would be my first spotting scope.
thanks

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:53 pm

I used to have the Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60mm sold it to upgrade to the Swarovski.

I was always pleased with the Leupold, I know you are looking at a different model but still it was a good scope.

Also had some experience with the Bushnell Elite spotter it also is a good spotting scope.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

BigBoneZ
Spike
Spike

Post by BigBoneZ » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:38 pm

If it was me and bulk and weight are not an issue, and at those distances I would look into the 20x60x80mm skyline made by vortex i belive you can buy one for around $450 or so. I've looked thru them and they will blow the 2 scopes ur talk'n bout out of the water, and they have the best warrenty in optics period.They also have a model that is same size and looks the same but it is called a skyline ed it's around $750. You really dont need that model though unless ur plan'n on get'n into digiscope'n, it just has a little better glass and coatings. Even though it's a little bigger than most guys would like to carry in a pack it's still not bad and the weight is really reasonable. You should take a look at them i think you will be very impressed with what you'll be get'n for the money. And i have not heard any bad about them except from the guys who paid twice as much for little or no more quality.
Last edited by BigBoneZ on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBoneZ
Spike
Spike

Post by BigBoneZ » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:50 pm

They also have a smaler one 20x60x60mm if weight or size is an issue, i think in the $300 range. You can check out their web page for the specs and coatings ect. But remember whether you pick a scope or high power binos keep'n steady will really help the view'n. A good tripod is definatly worth the money. I personally like to scan with a 15x bino then pull the scope out when needed. You might start with somthing like binos and tripod then add the scope later.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:05 pm

+1 on what BigBoneZ said
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

hunterman6
Fawn
Fawn

Post by hunterman6 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:15 am

I was just considering the Leupold compact, as you are, but was worried that the 30X would not be enough at the ranges you are talking about. Weight was a big issue for me, but I decided to go with more power. I bought a Nikon XLII 16-48X60. You can get a smoking deal at Natchez Shooter Supply right now, a new one for $229, they are normally about $400+. It weighs 31 oz. and the glass quality is pretty good. Just something else to consider.