tactical scope question?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

tactical scope question?

Post by muleywannabe » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:51 am

Do you guys use tactical scopes on your rifles? or do you just put the ballistics on the stock of the gun? I am thinking of getting a tactical to take the guess work out...but is it worth it? what scope would you recommend?

Hankenstein
Fawn
Fawn

Re: tactical scope question?

Post by Hankenstein » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:59 am

Nothing tactical about my rig:

Ruger #1 chambered in 7x57 with a Sightron 4X scope, keeping it simple...

Hank

muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Post by muleywannabe » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 pm

thats what I am thinking more and more. It would involve pulling my old scope off and trying to get through loc-tite...

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Both,I use mildot tac scopes and keep the data on the gun,I practice out past 1000 and practice often.Summer shooting is the next best thing to being in the field,and when that 900 yard buck stops for a second,hes SCREWED! :thumb

TreeLine
Spike
Spike

Post by TreeLine » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Sorry to jump your post.
Hey Nonya with all that shooting you must reload. Where are you getting your powder and primers?

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:50 pm

Our local stores have a full stock on hand,are they still running short elsewhere?

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:53 pm

I assume you are talking about an elk or a deer setup, but on my 17hmr and 22lr I have decided that I don't like them as it takes too much calculating for such minimal differences with such a light load. However, I think in a deer/elk setup the tactical would be much better suited. But, I personally do not have a tactical scope on the big rifles.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:46 am

I agree with Nonya. I have a Schmidt and Bender with the mil dots on my .300 WSM with all of my info right on the stock so I can't forget it. Once you get everything down it seems almost impossible to miss the target out to 500 and 600 yards.
I practice all summer long too and it is a great way to spend those long summer days. :thumb
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:24 pm

The Mil Dot system is deadly if used correctly it takes some practice and patience to shoot well consistently at long range. There are some great choices out there for scopes and equipment for long range shooters more now a days than ever before.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

MNHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MNHunter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:00 pm

I have quite a bit of experience shooting with tactical scopes and would reccomend them if you are looking to do some serious long range shooting. You definately need to educate yourself on their use and practice to get the maximum benefit out of them.

The average hunter is probably going to get all they need from one of the new BDC reticles as most guys aren't going to go to the range and develope dope for their rifles. The mildot reticle was designed for ranging targets, and IMO isn't the best option if you are looking for a reticle you can use for "hold-off" shots.

I think if a hunter wants to take some longer shots you need to have good repeatable turrets that are set for 1/4 MOA or .1 MRAD adjustments, so you can make fine enough adjustments out at range. Some of the tactical scopes out there (IE: Leupold Mark 4 LR/T w/M3 turrets) are designed for rapid elevation adjustments with either .5 or 1 minute clicks, or a BDC type turret. IMO, these are bad choices for hunting if you want to take shots approaching 1000 meters as you can't make fine enough adjustments. I personally dont like the BDC turrets like on the Huskemaw scopes as I dont like being confined to one bullet type/weight.