THE Best Spotting Scope...Not Best Value??

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
martinclaybold
Fawn
Fawn

Re: THE Best Spotting Scope...Not Best Value??

Post by martinclaybold » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:44 pm

I've used Leupold VX-7L 4.5-18X56 Long Range Rifle Scope which I got from http://www.riflescopepro.com for $1925.00. Though a bit expensive, its giving me great results. And I don't regret spending so much on it.

MDbuck
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MDbuck » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:49 pm

If money is not an issue then defiatly the doctor binos hands down, and out of the truck they will be great but when you start backpack'n you may have wished for somthing a little lighter? Maybe a pair of doctors and then cause of the value a votex 65mm spotter for just the backpack trips :-k good luck :thumb

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:28 pm

I'd like to add that the swarovski focus adjustment is sweet! It is one big round adjustment that encompasses the whole body of the spotter allowing you to put a forefinger on the top and your thumb on the bottom to focus. The other models have two small focus knobs (one for coarse adjustment and one for fine adjustment) which in my opinion are not as user friendly. Just personal preference but a biggy for comfort and ease of use.
Also, the angled is very nice for looking uphill and down hill allowing you to use a smaller tripod when sitting on the ground. Just another personal preference. fatrooster.

fly4fish
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fly4fish » Fri May 13, 2011 8:27 am

I will agree with all whom said the Swarovski 65mm. And if you have a $3000 budget, then why not go with the HD glass. I would bet that when you see a huge muley out there on a crystal clear morning, you will be grabbing for the camera. I feel the exact best spotting scope for hunting is the Swarovski 20-60 X 65mm HD straight body.

I know the camera adapter for the Swarovski is expensive, but I think you would still be within the budget or at least close to it. I just ordered the Zhumell Universal Digiscoping Adapter for $30, so we'll see how well it works here in a few days.

Check all the stuff out here: http://www.bestforhunting.com/?page_id=230

jantler
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jantler » Sun May 15, 2011 8:46 am

Hi there,
I understand very well your anticipation of Sept. I live here in Colorado and guide, hunt, and fish extensively. I went with what much research and experience pointed out to be the best. I have a pair of 12x50 HD Ultravids for binos and 2 Swaro scopes, the STS 80mm HD with 20-60x eyepiece and the STM 65mm HD with the 25-50X wide zoom. I went with the straight because it helps to locate your target better, is fusiform, and slightly lighter. All of these are fantastic tools that will last a lifetime. However, I am looking to buy a bigger raft this summer as I sold my Puma and I decided I don't need 2 spotting scopes.
The STM 65mm HD is practically new and has very, very little use.
The STS 80mm HD is 2 years old and in excellent shape.
ALL lenses on both are perfect and the scopes overall are in excellent shape.
I am torn between which I want to keep.
I will sell the STM 65 mm HD with 25-50X wide zoom eyepiece for $2,400 plus shipping.
I will sell the STS 80 mm HD with 20-60X eyepiece for $2,500 plus shipping.
Further, I will include a Targus Tripod and Nikon window mount with either of these. These are both new items I got in another purchase and don't need as I have another of each.
I also will be shipping the scopes in their original boxes with all the papers and warranty card,etc.
My email is justingreshko@yahoo.com
Best regards.

tx_packmule
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tx_packmule » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:30 am

Invest in a good tripod.. Those scopes are fairly heavy and will loosen the heads on the cheaper tripods in a hurry.