vortex skyline ed spotting scope for backpacking

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
Bowhuntrben
Fawn
Fawn

vortex skyline ed spotting scope for backpacking

Post by Bowhuntrben » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:29 am

I have been researching spotting scopes to get one for doing a backpack hunt in Colorado next year. I have found that a lot of people seem to like the vortex skyline/vortex skyline ed. I was wondering how people feel about getting the regular versus the ed version. Is the ed version worth the extra cost? Is it worth the extra weight for doing a backpack hunt? Does anybody have any other spotting scope that they feel is better than the vortex in the same ballpark for cost (i.e. $400-$800) for a backpack hunt? Also, do you prefer angled or straight? Does digiscoping work well with an angled spotting scope?

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: vortex skyline ed spotting scope for backpacking

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:12 am

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to optics. I am not going to give you my personal preference on spotters because I we are all different. Eastmans.com has a new spotter review online right now that I would suggest reading. It will give you great info and can help you with your decision. Here is the link to the article. http://www.eastmans.com/research/gear-r ... pe-review/
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

iliveinthewoods
Spike
Spike

Post by iliveinthewoods » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:19 am

I am a fan of the ED, I just bought one, the biggest difference is going to be in low light conditions, and if you shoot a camera through it... If you are backpacking in though, you may want to look at a smaller and lighter spotting scope. Most full size spotting scopes are pretty heavy. I would look at like the vortex impact. Or something similar. My personal opinion, also i have found angeled is easier to use, cuz you can sit on the side of a hill or stand up and look down and not have to look strait out, but again imo.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hoyt Katera XL
Fuse Acculaunch
Fuse Satori
Fuse Sidekick
Spott Hogg Hogg-it
G5 Matreo Strings
Beaman ICS Hunter Elite
G5 Tekan
"I thought I could shoot, til i saw a shooter..."

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:19 pm

If you are looking to get the Vortex Skyline Ed spotting scope I have one that is in great condition. I have loved the scope, but am looking to get a swarovski now. So if you wanna great deal on a a great used one pm me.

Bowhuntrben
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Bowhuntrben » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:26 pm

So I ended up getting the vortex skyline ed straight spotting scope...I love it! I took it out for the first time this past weekend and couldn't be more pleased! I have a cheap tripod which makes taking pictures difficult, but it works fine for just looking through the glass. Didn't see any big boys, but did see quite a few deer and snapped a few pictures.