Sleeping bag and tent

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
ShedObsession93
Fawn
Fawn

Sleeping bag and tent

Post by ShedObsession93 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:50 pm

Hello everyone. I know all of you must be getting tired of all my questions. well i apologize but i do have another question. Me and my friend have decided on doing a Pack in hunting trip next fall for mule deer. I have an alaskan guide model pack and frame and was wonder what kind of sleeping bag and tents are small enough to fit in this pack along with all my other gear such as clothes food water tent sleeping bag Pad and any other gear i will need. And where can i find these tents and sleeping bags for a decent price. any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Twitch
Spike
Spike

Re: Sleeping bag and tent

Post by Twitch » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:05 pm

First you need to decide if you need a 3 season or 4 season tent. 4 season tents are a little heavier than the 3 seasons but do much better in the snow.

Most of the backpacking tents and such fit really easily in your pack.

watch steepandcheap.com and go to backcountry.com outlet for their deals, its the only spot I go to for my backpacking supplies.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:55 pm

dont forget campmor.com great place to look for bachpacking gear.

twitch thanks for the links, i never heard of them and am stoked to check them out!

as far as recomendations?

you'll get 10 different answers from 10 different people.
i use for tents, marmot ESO 1 man tent, my favorite, outdoor reaserch bivy sack, works but is getting used less and less for the more comfortable marmot, and a DO-it, cheap peice of crap, that has an awsome desing, but sweats like a **** in church. it is my "loaner" :) after guys borrow it, they make sure to buy their own:)

bags: i use a Northface 10 degree bag. works great for me, but i have a buddy who will be on the same trip with me, will freeze his butt off in his -20 degree slumberjack. different for everyone. but as a rule of thumb, the colder it is good for , the heavier it will weigh. then you can off-set a little of that buy paying a ton more. but YOU have to find the happy medium for yourself.

at the CAMPMOR sight you can look at a ton of bags and tents. decide what is the best for the $ you want to spend. it can get expensive.

i also have a buddy who makes a lot of my same trips using walmart , very cheap, gear. and he seems to do just fine. spending alot of money wont make it easy, if you really want to do it , you can make anything work.

Twitch
Spike
Spike

Post by Twitch » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:54 pm

I totally forgot about campmor.com #-o

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Post by JLROOT » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:28 am

I don't have a recommendation for the tent or the bag, but do have a recommendation for upgrading the comfort level of any sleeping bag.

I always carry a poncho liner with me. You can get them at any army surplus store. If I need to I can line my sleeping bag with it to add some additional insulation. Adds another 5 - 10 degrees of protection for me. Of course this will vary with each individual and their sleeping bag.

I am preaching to the choir here, I know, but, with the exception of my foot gear and any wet clothing, I get undressed in the sleeping bag. This does a couple of things:

a. all the contortions you go through warms the sleeping bag.

b. leaving your clothes in the sleeping bag with you adds additional insulation and the clothes are warm when you put them on in the morning.

c. I think this is the most important thing. Do not go to sleep in your bag with clothes on (except in realy extreme circumstances). You will sweat inside your sleepiing bag, which means that you negate a lot of the insulation capability of your bag. It also means that when you climb out of your bag in the morning your clothes are damp, if not wet, and you will get realy cold realy quick.

I hope i did not insult anyones intelegence. Just wanted to put out some lessons learned from 19 years as a grunt.

Stay warm, stay dry, stay alive.
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:37 pm

I aquired one of the new ECWS sleep systems before I got out of the army a few years ago. They're modular, and AWESOME. I never got wet or cold in mine. If you can track one down I highly reccomment it.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

jerseyelknut
Spike
Spike

Post by jerseyelknut » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:58 am

you can check out REI as well, the good thing about REI is the reviews. I was going to but a new ultralight tent that I saw in a magazine, but it got bad reviews. The only other piece of advice I have is to take your time and buy everything once. It's better to spend a little more money now instead of having gear laying around that you don't use.

lunkerjunker
Spike
Spike

Post by lunkerjunker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:19 am

It's better to spend a little more money now instead of having gear laying around that you don't use
I agree 100%. With backpacking gear I believe that you definitely get what you pay for. That doesn't mean just go an get the most expensive stuff you can find but sppending a little more really pays off as it will usally last longer and perform better. I've had my 2 man Serria Designs tent for 10+ years and it's still a great tent.

As far as reccomendations, I would go to an REI type store and talk to someone there so you can see what will work best for you (then buy chaper online!). They are usally pretty knowledgeable and there are a lot of great brands to chose from. Don't go to Cabeleas most of the people that work there don't know sh*t! (the one in UT anyway)

300WeatherbyMag
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 300WeatherbyMag » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 pm

I have the REI Half Dome tent and its been great. It is a little on the heavy side at 5 pounds but It keeps two people comfortable and dry. Also REI stands by their products. Northface makes great sleeping bags. I have the snowshoe and am very happy with it.