whats a good bullet

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
clay15
Fawn
Fawn

whats a good bullet

Post by clay15 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:34 am

im getting a 7mm-08 and i was wondering what type of bullet and grain would be good,the longest shot i have made is about 112 yards and i hunt near cisco Tx.

primal215
3 point
3 point

Re: whats a good bullet

Post by primal215 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:11 am

at that range any bullet will do the job the same so go to walmart and buy anything in your caliber, unless you want to shoot 200 yds or more there wont be much difference in where its going to hit or how hard.

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:37 pm

I'd say go and find the cheapest bullet then zero it in at 100 yards and with that cal. you should be set.
:thumb
bc.pse
"I'm a Backwoods Boy! I grew up on a Dirt Road!"-Josh Turner

dkhunter49
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dkhunter49 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:25 pm

i cant agree more. the one that shoot the best outta your gun. i shoot a 223,243.300winmag,bullets that have been made in rem,soft points have been one shot,one kill hunts. 4 elk,11deer,dont remember how many yotes or rocdogs,all have died in place.remington is still the deadliest mushroomout there,in all calib,all have shot fine in my guns,good groups,food for the winter,i dont need to waste money on expensive bullets. i did one time and was disapointed by hornady.rems work,i wont change.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:06 pm

I have complete disagreement with the statements above. I do not send cheap ammo to do the job in the field, I will not send cheap ammo to the practice range.
The old term practice as you play!
If you want to practice free throws with a half inflated basketball and try to will the game on a free throw with proper equipment, I’m not putting the money on you.
You may only get the one shot at the buck of lifetime, if you have practiced all you shooting positions with the ammo you use in the field your odds of taking this animal with a human clean shot goes up.

I like you choice of calibers the 7mm-08 is a great round, I would select a good 140 gr. Bullet if you reload (pm me for my recipes) if you are off shelf, you need to do some shooting, find the brand that your rifle likes and stick with them.

Become proficient with your weapon is not the weekend before hunting season, you must shoot all year round, that is what they call practice. All other sports you practice, how come hunters think they can shoot 3 shoots before season and them make that quartering away shot at 300yds looking into the sun?

I'm off my soap box now

Have a great day

V/R
M. Bird

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:36 pm

I agree with M.Bird. Buy a good quality expanding hunting bullet from a reputable manufacturer. I don't think you have to buy the latest and greatest developement in bullets to have a good performing bullet that kills effectively, theres plenty of good stuff that's been doing it for years and won't break the bank. I'm sure your local Walmart will have some good Federal or other good brand of bullets that will do the job. Try a couple different types to see which performs well out of your gun. Most likely you won't see much difference between the different bullets at 100yds.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:47 am

When I get a new weapon I always head to the range with at least 3 different brands/styles of bullets. I shoot 2 3-shot groups with each brand/style at 100yards and which ever gets the best group is the one I use. My 700 .30-06 shot best with 180 grn partitions. My Dad's shot 180grn accubons best, every barrel likes a different flavor.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:15 am

Hornady makes some very good bullets, got love the Barnes triple shocks aslo, if you reload check out berger.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

MNHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MNHunter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:06 pm

I will put in another for the Hornadys

I have recently had very good success with the hornady Interbond. Normally, I shoot federal ammunition as it is a local company to me, and I like to support my fellow minnesotans, but last fall I decided to give them a try based on the price when accuracy testing. I bought them for my Accumark .270 Win and Tikka T3 7mm Rem. Both grouped extremely well (under 1 MOA), so I decided to give them a whirl in Wyoming last fall for Antelope and Mule Deer.

Based on what I read about the bullets (bonded and tipped) they seemed to be along the same line as an accubond or scirocco, and should hold up just as well.

I was extremely pleased with the results on both species. I shot my antelope with the 130grn .270. I hit it with a frontal shot, it dropped in its tracks, and I found the bullet lodged in the back leg perfectly mushroomed and with apparently the majority of its original weight.

I shot my Mule Deer with the 154grn 7mm broadside (both lungs and top of heart). I didn't recover the bullet as it passed through, but I couldn't find anything I could identfy as the far side lung in the chest cavity. I took that as a good sign. The deer bounded about 40 yards, stumbled, and fell.