Backpacks

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Backpacks

Post by bc.pse » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:30 pm

I need to get a backpack thats at least 3700 cubic inches. I don't care if it has an internal or external frame. I would like any of your advice. I would be using it to go on 2-5 day backpacking hunts, I would need to carry water, food, sleeping bag, bivy tent, and gear (binos, spotting scope, shooting sticks, ect.). And would need to be able to pack a deer out if needed. Any advice would be great!!! Thanks
bc.pse :thumb
"I'm a Backwoods Boy! I grew up on a Dirt Road!"-Josh Turner

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Backpacks

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:35 pm

I use the cabelas alaskan external frame pack. I have worn out a couple of these packs and have never wanted anything else. The frame is strong and very adjustable to get a good fit. The pack is well designed for hunters with a place for a rifle, spotting scope, etc. I have carried this pack with enormous loads of meat and I can tell you that it can carry more than you want. There is another thread along these lines with some great info. You can look it up on my old posts.------shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model® Camo Pack with Frame Item:IK-515448

I got the one above and love it. Used it on a few back country fishing trips this year, and did an overnght for deer this year. Loads of room and if you need to quarter up a deer the frame has I believe a 200# capacity. Padded pocket on one side for spotting scope with a long pouch for sticks/hatchet. Other side swings open to hold your rifle, even has a pocket for the butt.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Shooter-
I have looked at this pack which one is it...there are so many on the web page there is like Alaskan 2 and 1 and Guide model, and outfitter...which one is yours? How many cubic inches?

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Type "IK-515448 " in the search, should take you right to it.

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Crunch14-Have you ever packed a whole deer out?

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:06 pm

Not on a pack, I made a drag harness out of web gear and go a ways with the deer then go back and get the pack then a ways with the deer, go back and grab pack. Thats how we've always gotten out deer out. I took my first deer this year but was only a mile from the road. Help my dad and others do this many times in the past. But then again this is my first year with a frame pack.
Last edited by crunch14 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Oh nice

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:45 pm

bc,

I don't have a catalog handy to get you an exact item number, but the pack mentioned above in this thread is the one you want. Make sure you get the frame that has a zipper compartment on the bottom of the frame shelf containing a hunter orange quarter pack that can be used with the frame when the main pack is not attached. Also, get the pack mentioned above that has the padded sleeve for optics and the rifle scabbord. I have packed out dozens of deer with this frame and it has worked out great. Most of the mulies I have packed out render about 70-80lbs of boned out meat. This is all I can carry safely, so I usually make one trip out with the meat, then hike back in to get the 35-40 lbs of camp gear that I carry. I have made one trip with everything when I killed smaller blacktatils in California, but these trips were a killer. Get the right stuff adn backpack hunting is a BLAST! Also, there are much better packs available that cost 2-3 times as much as this pack. Some guys swear by them and they are probably great. If you are made of dough, you might want to look into some of these. I've seen packs for as much as $700.00. I don't hve that kind of money so the good old Alaskan works for me.-----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

jerseyelknut
Spike
Spike

Post by jerseyelknut » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:56 pm

Do any of you guys use that pack with a bow? Is there an easy way to strap a bow to it? Thanks