Spotting scope tripod recs

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
ntspdy
Fawn
Fawn

Spotting scope tripod recs

Post by ntspdy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:59 pm

It looks like Santa will be kind this year and is bringing a spotting scope. Now I'm searching for a tripod to go with it. Looking for some recommendations. It'd be nice to have something lightweight but it's not the only deciding factor. Anyone have one they really like?

heshen
2 point
2 point

Re: Spotting scope tripod recs

Post by heshen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:27 pm

IMO.. any bogen/manfroto tripod with a video style head will be awesome for a spotting scope tripod. They are a little pricey, but well worth the money... I have the carbon fiber leg model which makes it much lighter. I love it.. If you are not wanting to spend 300-400 dollars on a setup I have seen some a good one at cabelas for like 150. It was heavier but the head was still smooth.. Make sure to get a fluid head tripod, there is nothing worse than having issues finding game because of you tripod ...any other questions feel free to ask..

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:44 pm

I have the bogen/manfrotto as well and it has been a great tripod. It is great for panning/lockup and is very smooth. I used a tripod that had a squeeze handle that would release the scope to move when depressed then lock when released. It was way sweet for glassing.-----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

ntspdy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ntspdy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks guys, I'll check bogen/manfroto out. The point about the smooth movement is critical. I never really thought about it but can see how it can affect your ability to stay on target or to just scan the countryside.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:30 pm

i really like my manfrotto {SP??}

the only problem is, my first one, the plastic clamp around the leg broke, really no big deal because i dont ever see myself standing up to us it, if i dont use the 3rd stage of extention it doesn't effect to tripod use.

anyway, i took it back to sportsmans last year and the manager was awsome, no reciept nothing. he said i'd have to send it to {i cant remember exactly} but like germany, or france, i dont know where but A LONG WAY AWAY! so he just took it to the optics dept. and brought out a new one. that was awsome!

but now this one has been less than a year and the same place broke again. (???) i'll try to take it bake, but now SPORTSMANS has now became "wholesale sports" i doubt i will get the same return service. it works absolutly great. but i dont like the fact the the plastic clamps keep breaking :>/

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:52 pm

Hey Killerbee
but now this one has been less than a year and the same place broke again. i'll try to take it bake, but now SPORTSMANS has now became "wholesale sports" i doubt i will get the same return service. it works absolutly great. but i dont like the fact the the plastic clamps keep breaking
I think this is a common issue with the manfrotto tripods, but you can buy the replacement clamps yourself off of ebay or any camera store can order them that carries manfrotto... They are not the strongest, but they are very light. So I think the trade-off is worth it. I saw them on ebay awhile back less than 10 bucks.. Manfrotto will stand behind their product, but sometimes its just less expense and headache to fix it yourself..

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:34 pm

heshen wrote:Hey Killerbee
but now this one has been less than a year and the same place broke again. i'll try to take it bake, but now SPORTSMANS has now became "wholesale sports" i doubt i will get the same return service. it works absolutly great. but i dont like the fact the the plastic clamps keep breaking
I think this is a common issue with the manfrotto tripods, but you can buy the replacement clamps yourself off of ebay or any camera store can order them that carries manfrotto... They are not the strongest, but they are very light. So I think the trade-off is worth it. I saw them on ebay awhile back less than 10 bucks.. Manfrotto will stand behind their product, but sometimes its just less expense and headache to fix it yourself..
THATS AWSOME INFO! i honestly thought i would just use it "as is". thanks for the tip!! :thumb { that made my whole evening!}