Post by lunkerjunker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks for the info Turokman!

Turokman123
2 point
2 point

Re: ATTENTION: NEW OR STRUGGLING HUNTERS

Post by Turokman123 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:25 am

You're welcome
2010 Strother SR-71 390 grain arrow @ ~60# >-------> 298 FPS with 74.6 KE. Slick Trick Army.
"Is it elk season yet?"

headinwest01
Fawn
Fawn

Post by headinwest01 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Hello all, I am new to the site and basically new to hunting out west. I have lived in the south my whole life (except a 3 year hitch in West Texas). I have hunted and fished for just about everything available in MS, AR, LA, MS, and TN. I try to make a couple of weekend trips to the coast with my friend and go offshore in his boat. I finally reached a point in my life where I can make some time between work and family to hunt and fish some. If anyone needs help in the above states or wants to go offshore fishing, I'll help any way I can. Due to the 1000 miles I am from the mountains, scouting trips will probably not work too well. I will never ask for a honey hole!! As I learn more about units/areas, I will be more than happy to share info with new hunters and hunters like me who live far away or whose schedule won't allow them to scout an area, esp. with a good tag.

My dad and I were lucky enough to draw WY 47 antelope tags this year, and this will be our first trip out west in 15 years, so any help will be appreciated.

Looking forward to learning more about western hunting.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:29 pm

::wel to Muley Madness

Quote:
My dad and I were lucky enough to draw WY 47 antelope tags this year, and this will be our first trip out west in 15 years, so any help will be appreciated.
Wyoming unit 47 is a good unit and lots of public land yo will see tons of antelope and of course you will probably see a bunch of other hunters. Bring good optics and a spotting scope if you have one, knee and elbow pads are recomended for crawling on the cactus covered terrain.

No need to worry though, you should have lots of opportunities to get a good goat. Make sure you get your BLM maps and if you have a GPS. I recomend that you get the card that shows public and private ownership there is no comparison when you have the GPS and map together you will always know where you are.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

codyca
Fawn
Fawn

Post by codyca » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:00 pm

I have never hunted that area but my buddy swears he saw more rattle snakes than we do in the mojave preserve here in California. That is a lot of snakes as we see at least one a day and most times more out there. Look out as your crawling through those cacti! Good luck. If you would let us know how your hunt went. thanks.

headinwest01
Fawn
Fawn

Post by headinwest01 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks for the info GreatWhite and Codyca. I have also heard there are a lot of rattlesnakes up there. I almost got used to them while I lived in West Texas for 3 years, but haven't seen one in a while. Maybe it will be cold by the time we get there. GreatWhite, I have my GPS and ordered my BLM map today. Plan on doing some studying before we go and while we are on our 19 hour drive up there. I was told that the unit is pretty crazy, so we are going toward the end of the season to hopefully not be bumping into everyone.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Muley Shed Freak,
Check your PM when you get the chance

greatwhitehope
Fawn
Fawn

Post by greatwhitehope » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:49 am

My budies and I are all new to hunting and have been applying for many years in AZ and finally we got tags Unit 10 Oct. 21-31. We chose the late Oct. hunt because of the nuber of tags and length of the hunt, was this a wise choice? If anyone knows this area or has any info that they are willing to share it will all be appreciated. Thank you.

muzzhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by muzzhunter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:21 pm

I can help out a little, I've hunted antelope in Wyoming 32 and 92, and 3 corners Utah. I've hunted deer in Wyoming D and most of Utah, and Elk in Colorado 49.

dukedog
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dukedog » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:48 am

Well this is my first posting here and it,s asking for help if anyone is inclined it would be greatly appreciated. My son and I got drawn for N. Ca. X5b I hunted the area about 11 years ago hoping to go scouting next week about a 7 hr drive. If anyone has any info that might be of help we could sure use it. By the way 11 years ago I got a decent 3X around Observation Peak.
Thanks
Dukedog