Hunting Gps

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
muleykevin
Fawn
Fawn

Hunting Gps

Post by muleykevin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:22 am

I am Looking for a good gps to download good topo maps to and was wondering if any one would have any good ideas as to what yall use and what works good for hunting. Also maps that mark watering holes and rivers, borders etc. If you have any ideas it would be appreciated thanks.

capt.nw
Spike
Spike

Re: Hunting Gps

Post by capt.nw » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:39 am

Garmin legend HCx then get the topo map chip for the states you want to hunt to put in the GPS. The GPS will come with a topo CD to down load on your computer. With those three things you should be able to find roads water whole, plan routs to any spot and mark and thing you want. I have one and it works great for marking new spots and plotting paths to new areas I want to check out.
Same Monkey Different Tail....

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Post by TheHardWay » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:56 am

I like my garmin rino 530hcx because it combines a 2-way radio and topographic maps into one unit.
Pros: Easy to use. Allows you to see where you hunting partners are in relation to you. Can talk to other GMS/GMRS 2-way units even if they aren't Rinos
Cons: Spendy unit. Doesn't really do you any good if your hunting partners aren't using Rino units, since you won't be able to see them on the map.

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:09 am

Pretty much any of the Garmin GPS units will do what your wanting as long as it is a model that will alow maps to be downloaded. Which is all of them except maybe just a few. I have the older version of the Map 60CS and love it.
Deadi

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:27 am

I have had a couple garmins now. I have the Oregon 450 witch I love. I highly recommend you stay away from the ones that have the topo map already in the unit. The scale is 100K in those units. Buy the map program with the 24k scale and the detail is much better.

I don't know what you are willing to spend but if you shop around you can find the 450 for around 300.00 and the map program for your area for 70.00 to a 100.00.

Another reason to go Garmin is the website HuntingGPSmaps.com has some awesome maps to down load and only work with Garmin products! Check it out.

Good luck :thumb
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

cwp
Spike
Spike

Post by cwp » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:48 pm

I just bought the Garmin Rhino 130. the map program is the same one that DeadI uses and I have loved it so far. I think that the program is not as important as the user actually understanding how to use the GPS efficiently. A good map program is useless if you don't know how to use the GPS and navigate the programs.

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:05 pm

I use an Earthmate PN-20 by DeLorme comes with Topo 7.0 you can load any map you want make and custimize what ever you want. Its the best system I've seen since they started making them. IMO

jerseyelknut
Spike
Spike

Post by jerseyelknut » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:44 pm

I use the Garmin 60CSX and I love it. I got a Cabelas sale flier today and the 60 CSX is going on sale August 19th for $199.99. I think that's definitely worth checking out for that price.

Huntin101
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Huntin101 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:57 pm

I use the Garmin 60CSx and really like it. Maps for a while were very hard for me to find that were actually good and accurate until I found www.huntinggpsmaps.com (so one up to Tyewire cause I totally agree with him). They have many of their state maps (I believe all of the Western states is what they have). Good luck

Huntin101
Huntin101